heavy barrel vs fluted barrel

hammer111

any advantages from one to the other or is one better suited to one style of shooting over the othe. I'd like to here thoughts on this.

Unless you are firing Full Auto, there's no need to run a fluted barrel. A heavy BBL works just fine. Eyeball some of the threads on Rimfire.com. you'll get 2 days of reading, from folks arguing the differences.

yeah Im trying to eliminate that, and get some honest answers. I guess Im asking in general not just for a rimfire, but centerfire also.

For rimfire and centerfire a fluted barrel provides a weight advantage for a given barrel diameter with the claim that it doesn't effect the rigidity of the barrel. In a center fire, it dissipates heat faster due to the increased surface area, and less mass. There is no effect on accuracy if the barrel is properly fluted. Whether these effects are noticeable enough to make an "observed" difference may be debatable. I have both rimfire and centerfire with both standard and fluted barrels. I can take them or leave them depending on the esthetics or availability of a given rifle.

For rimfire and centerfire a fluted barrel provides a weight advantage for a given barrel diameter with the claim that it doesn't effect the rigidity of the barrel. In a center fire, it dissipates heat faster due to the increased surface area, and less mass. There is no effect on accuracy if the barrel is properly fluted. Whether these effects are noticeable enough to make an "observed" difference may be debatable. I have both rimfire and centerfire with both standard and fluted barrels. I can take them or leave them depending on the esthetics or availability of a given rifle.

YEP.. I will add that Krieger (I THINK) states on their site that a fluted barrel is actually more ridged than a non fluted barrel of the same contour..I think I have that right..I should go try to find that but I am too lazy

YEP.. I will add that Krieger (I THINK) states on their site that a fluted barrel is actually more ridged than a non fluted barrel of the same contour..I think I have that right..I should go try to find that but I am too lazy

This is close, but you remembered incorrectly. Removing material does not make something more rigid. However, flutes will allow a barrel to be more rigid than a non fluted barrel of the same weight, but the non fluted barrel has to be a smaller contour to weigh the same.

Read this link for more info:
Fluting

This is close, but you remembered incorrectly. Removing material does not make something more rigid. However, flutes will allow a barrel to be more rigid than a non fluted barrel of the same weight, but the non fluted barrel has to be a smaller contour to weigh the same.

Read this link for more info:
Fluting

OH GOTCHA! that makes more sence.

looks covered very well here. Fluting imho is for looks. They look really cool! Now I know that some one is going to get mad at me and give a whole speal about some technical mumbo jumbo; I know that some guys talk about weight and rigidity but if you got a big barrel it looks so much cooler if its fluted. If there is an accuracy difference, I cant tell it. I suppose the big boys who are doing serious shooting and trying to win some plastic know what they want for a good reason, but to me its all about the looks. :cool:

So just shooting from the hip, how much weight would you think is saved by fluting something like a #5 or #6, 26" barrel?

So just shooting from the hip, how much weight would you think is saved by fluting something like a #5 or #6, 26" barrel?

It depends on the depth, length, and number of flutes. I would guess you could save at least 1 pound and possibly 2. But that's a total guess on my part. I could model it up in CAD and give you a better idea tomorrow if you're interested.

this is very interesting . I would be interested to know Browninglover1. As far as it goes for me just recreational shooting its not going to matter either way.

I like learning new things. I feel like it will make me smarter.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.