Accubond or Swift Scirocco?

Im planning on hunting antelope,I know 180 grn is a little heavy for antelope but its pretty windy over in eastern Montana and need a good bullet to buck the wind at long ranges.

Yep, I second dave. Now that you bring up possibly the smallest big game animal in North America I would have to say that there is absoloutely no need for a bonded bullet. Why not shoot a hallow point. Or better yet since you want a polymer tipped bullet go with the A-max.

Your looking too hard for the obvious and I would REALLY hope that you don't go with the swifts since they are so tough and an antelope is so fragile.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Probably not what you wanted to hear but I'd say shoot both and take the one that shoots the smallest group.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me too.

[/ QUOTE ]

me three. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

four /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jeepers!I just got scolded for mentioning using 190 SMKs in my 300 WSM over at the short magnum site,owell im probably going to get lit up here too LOL!!Anyways do you gentlemen think that my 300 wsm can handle those alright,unrelated to the antelope hunt ok.just a thought that arose.Thanks

[ QUOTE ]
Jeepers!I just got scolded for mentioning using 190 SMKs in my 300 WSM over at the short magnum site,owell im probably going to get lit up here too LOL!!Anyways do you gentlemen think that my 300 wsm can handle those alright,unrelated to the antelope hunt ok.just a thought that arose.Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I got the cold shoulder for posting the velocities I was getting out of my 300 SAUM Sendero. They are a conservative bunch. LOL!

My Sendero has a tight chamber, but my Model 7 does not, and it has shot up to 200 grs just fine in my smaller case. Performance leaves a little to be desired, but it works.

Sorry about the hijaking! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Go with what your rifle shoots best, thus your confidence is maximized. I have used Scirocco's for over a year with great success on deer and hogs. Recently I experimented with the TSX and it shoots smaller groups at higher velocities in my custom 270. I am going to switch over to the TSX this hunting season and experiment with the terminal ballistics.

Gig'Em
Jarret

Yeah it was kinda crazy over there,and the guy was the moderator too with about 5000 plus posts!He told me it was silly to be punching holes in targets with magnums and that SMKs could not be used for hunting and I didnt even mention hunting whatsoever LOL,just that I wanted to know if my 300 wsm could handle 190 grn SMK alright,Owell to each his own I guess,Not a very friendly first time response to my first time post over there.Trust me I dont mind kind and helpful critisism.My old man has used nothing but 200 grn SMK's in his 300 win mag and 140 grn SMKs in his 264 win mag to slay more elk and moose and deer in 20 years or better than you can shake a stick at, believe it or not very effectively,hes 75 now and can still outshoot me.The man is an amazing shot.And eyes like an eagle.

Any of the plastic-tipped bullets will serve you very well. Use the one that shoots the best in your rifel. BTW, good call not using a light bullet just because "you're only hunting antelope" because as you know the main enemy is the wind--so you want high BC's. The Scirroco (and I'm pretty sure the Hornadies as well but I haven't actually tested them) will have a BC a bit higher than the Accubond in the same weight. However, depending upon how your rifle likes that ogive profile accuracy may or may not be as good. Only one way to find out.

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses. Nice whitetails BTW Jon!!Looks like you had an awesome year of hunting.You must live in Eastern Washington? Anyways about what you said about the high amount of ojive in that scirocco bullet, its like 15%,and the bullets are very expensive.I know this might make most people cringe, but im thinking of going with and trying 190 grn SMKs,it doesnt take much to open up that huge hollow cavety in the nose of the SMK's,those speedgoats are a very skiddish animals as you know and when they spot you sometimes even at very long ranges are in the next county by the time you bring your rifle to bear on them!!And the fact that the Ranchers hat'em for there fence breaking capabilities, Flock shoot at them year around,so that doesnt help!!Anyways I dont think that Ive ever gotten any closer then about 300-400 yards for shots on them and thats trying to use terrain to my advantage.And not to mention the **** crosswind you encounter also.

You can also consider the 175 MatchKing or the 178 A-Max. I have read that David Miller, one of the most successful Coues deer hunters in the west uses 168 Matchkings in his .300 Weatherby and he does that for the inherent accuracy and because they perform to his requirements. He also makes rifles that sell for about what a good used pickup would go for.

My hunting buddies and I have shot a truckload of deer and antelope with match bullets - at close range they may or may not bust up but so do Ballistic Tips and GameKings and others from our experience. Might be some lost meat but the critter is dead and that was the reason we pulled the trigger.

We have WSM and matchbullet shooters here - talk to Wyo about 175's in the WSM or Dave King about killing with a variety of match bullets on hundreds of kills during his dep deer culling. Chris Mathews builds rifles in 7WSM that win state championshiips (although his bride has to pull the trigger for him!!!). I was recently told by the developement engineer from Winchester that I have shot more .325 WSM ammo than anyone on the planet, over 1200 rounds to date - we know a little bit about short mags here too. We have guys from Alaska to Alabama here who share real info, not knee-jerk bulldroppings.

I just started loading up my .338 Win with Accubonds. I haven't any hunting experiences with them just yet, but I can state that their accuracy is someting else. My .338 consistently shoots under 3/8" 3 shot groups. Considering the bullet diameter, they're all touching.

This is the opposite of what I've understood to be the case. (Were you thinking of the A-frame--a very tough bonded bullet?) I've been told not to use Scirrocos beyond large deer sized game and I believe that was in a conversation with Swift executive Bill Hober. Might want to give him a call @ 785-754-3959 to double check though.

jmden

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.