Swift Scirocco II's

cousehunter34

Does anyone have any load data on the Swift Scirocco II's? I'm trying to load the 165's with CFE223 in a .308 win. I've heard that because they have a thicker copper jacket than usual they reach higher pressures quicker. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Only ones ive loaded are the 150 7mms and ive shot them in two differnt 7rem mags and my stw and never noticed that they reached pressure problmes any sooner then any other 140.

Only ones ive loaded are the 150 7mms and ive shot them in two differnt 7rem mags and my stw and never noticed that they reached pressure problmes any sooner then any other 140.

I've got a box of the 150 grain 7mm for reloading for my 7mm STW so that's good to know.

Thanks!

I have used the 165's in a 300Wby and killed brown bear, black bear, elk and mule deer. Great bullet just wished they made them in heavier weights. No pressure problems in Wby or 30-06. Dot think you are going to run into issues with 308.

Thanks for the input guys. Finally got around to testing those loads...(47, 48, & 49gr. of CFE223/165gr. scirocco II's OAL 2.835) no pressure signs, but it looked like buckshot @ 200yds. Velocity between 2775-2919. Obviously my rifle didn't like something in that combination.

My research suggests that they are good hunting bullet and have high BC"S. My research also said they can be difficult to find what they liked for accuracy. It was suggested to stated about .020 of the lands. Try different seating depths. Ley us know if different depths shrink the groups. Bruce

The closest I can get to the lands is .050 @ an OAL of 2.835-2.839 and still fit in the mag. I'll try this length with varget this weekend and post results.

Varget seemed to shoot better than CFE223, but still not acceptable group size. 2 1/2" groups at 200 yds is the best I could get. This rifle is a Remington 5R with some work done to it and normally shoots 13/16" groups at this distance with 45.5g Varget and 168g Nosler ballistic tips.

I was trying to find a little tougher bullet, but I guess Swift Scirroco II's aren't for me. Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread.

I did not try different seating depths. I pulled the bullet out as far as I could to still be able to fit in the magazine which puts me .050 off the lands. Varget loads loads were 45g. And 45.5g. Both shot about the same.

All the feedback I received seemed to advise me to put the bullet closer to the lands than I could actually get it, so I didn't think more of a jump would be beneficial.

I have some 7mm 150 grain loaded up for my 7mm STW.

The 7mm Swift Scirocco II 150 grain - 7mm STW reloading data is:

IMR 7828 - 78 grain & 79 grain - COL 3.675

H-1000 - 78 grain & 79 grain - COL 3.675

Both of my Sendero 7mm STWs are at the gunsmith and I'll post the results when I get them them back and go to the rifle range.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.