Swift Scirocco II

Nothing, but I'm glad you brought it up. I checked out the website and read the info. Looks to me to be the same bullet, with a new mysterious name for marketing purposes only. They say it themselves, same profile, inside and out, same load data....so I say, what's the difference other than now you call it the Scirocoo II??

Nevertheless, it will copper foul the bbl more than some bullets as it's jacket is solid copper, however, once you find a load, it is a very very accurate bullet and it hits hard. I like it.

I killed a black bear at very close range with a 180 from my .06 and was warned that it "pancakes" to easily thus penetration is lacking...to that I say BS. I punched through that bears shoulders and the bullet made a coke canned size hole in the ground.

I'm currently using the 180 in a 300 RUM, and .06, and the 130 in one of my 270s. In the 270, the Scirocco smoked the AB and IB bullets and the SST and Btip.

Another piece of info I found to be interesting was from the new Barnes bullets DVD. They compared the TSX to many other hunting bullets including the Scirocco. The latter did penetrate less in the gelatin at 100 yards but the indicated trauma was most impressive, much more impressive than the TSX, NP, Sierra, etc. AND it still managed to penetrate 23 or so inches.

Give them a try and keep GOOD bore cleaner handy as they will foul equally to Barnes bullets.

Derek, when you say "it will foul the barrel more than other bullets as it's jacket is solid copper" what do you mean by that? what conventional bullets don't have copper against the barrel?

SOLID copper as opposed to a copper alloy blend like most all other copper jackets. To my knowledge, only Barnes makes a solid copper bullet, and only Swift uses a solid copper jacket.

The Scirroco II is claimimg a higher percentage of retained weight. I think that they have changed the bonding process. One problem with Scirocco bullets are their long ogive and bullet length. Many barrels won't stabilize without high velocity! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Derek,
When asked what you know about them you said "nothing". How do you know they will copper foul like the original Scirocco? On the Swift website they claim they have new manufacturing procedures which I don't care about unless it saves them money and they pass that savings on to the consumer. They also say they made some advances in metallurgy. To me that means they may have added some antimony to the lead core or it may mean that they've added some zinc to the jacket. Or it could mean something else. If they have added zinc to the jacket, maybe they will copper foul less. I think they should come clean and say exactly what changes they've made so the skeptics will believe it's more than new packaging and hype just to sell more bullets.
Regards, Festus

I did not see that. My appologies to Derek. I'm still curious about the changes that were made. Thanks for setting me straight on the jacket. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Festus, I got ahead of myself. I was making the comments based on a phone conversation with Swift. Here is what Jan (I think she said her name was) stated to me:
[ QUOTE ]
Nothing is different. The components are the same. Just the process is different. The jacket is still solid copper. The core is the same. Just after 7 years of making this bullet, we have evolved into making it not 'better' but 'more advanced.' Because we don't want to say anything was wrong with the original Scirocco. But the new one shoots better, has higher velocity, advanced terminal performance, and increased wt. retention.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, when I say I know "nothing" about the bullet, I meant nothing is new about the components according to Swift. Just the fabrication process which is proprietory.

Derek,
Thanks for the clarification. If the jacket and core remain the same I wonder what they mean by advanced metallurgy. If you click where it says "order online" you'll find the quote I refer to. I didn't see any metal components other than the jacket and core.
Festus

Festus,

it's no secret that bullet companies purchase their competitors bullets for comparison testing. I'm wondering if Swift didn't do some metallurgy testing of the interbond and accubond and come up with a technique they prefer over their old one regarding the bonding process that may mirror one of their competitors.

I also know that these companies ABSOLUTELY read forums like this one, for endless feedback. I know they do because they told me so, as does Nosler and Speer, and Hornady. The most common negative feedback on the Scirocco was its weight retention and the fact that this bullet really does pancake out. The second most common negative feedback in my experience is the "pickiness" of the bullet when finding a load. I personally didn't have a problem with them in fine tuning a very accurate load in 2 rifles.

My guess is that the Accubond has the highest bullet sales, then the interbond, then the scirocco, and they needed to do something to boost sales.

From all of the forum pictures I've seen of these bonded bullets that have been recovered, I'm most impressed with the scirocco. I'm least impressed with the AB, but I think it is the most accurate. But none are more accurate for me than the TSX.

My 300RUM loves Scirrocco's,got a bunch of deer and a 526Yd. groundhog.
305061.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.