Absolutely Disgusting

26Reload

I just watched a recently released hunting show of Bill Jordan and his son....
Here they are...making shows about hunting and shooting and pushing responsibilities of being a hunter....
On a private ranch(maybe Wyoming) and a lot of bulls coming in to calls.....and they both gut shoot their bull elk....
Absolutely Disgusting....and they both missed a bull on video....how are we to know they didn't wound more animals only to run off and go to waste....
Time for that guy to hang up his bow and his show...
and if his kid plans on shooting/hunting any longer he best get a professional to retrain him in proper pull of the trigger and follow thru after the shot....maybe the worst I have ever seen......after he shoots his arrow his trigger hand falls forward....this not only shows extremely poor release but that the string has to be going forward before he releases his shot....and no wonder he shoots that elk in the guts...at maybe 10 yards
...ridiculous.............stay at home.......

morning, not the first time the jordons make poor shots.
a friend of mine runs a large hunting ranch in south TX.
when u book a hunt u sign a statement of responsibility.
if u shoot and miss, wound an animal, loss a wounded animal.
ur hunt is on video for hit and miss evidence.
u r thru with ur contract. no second chance.
GBOT TUM

The only thing I worry about leaving one over night are the predators and varmints. Meat will be fine other wise. Sometimes you have to go back in the morning even on a good hit. We try our hardest to recover as soon as we can but have to go back sometimes in the day light

You can definitely lose meat on an elk leaving it over night.
I've seen it happen twice now. Both times we backed out on a questionable hit, but both hits were actually good so the elk was dead moments after being shot. Both elk layed for close to ten hours dead. Both elk tasted horrible. I won't ever leave one again.

I admit ,I dont know about Elk now , but we never have had a problem with deer. like I said we dont like to, but sometimes have to. We have four of us hunting with our families probably 10 hunters and we will take sometimes 50 deer a year and I would imagine that 8 or 9 are recovered the next morning(if it is cool enough) if not we keep tracking or wait an hour and resume. if it is cool enough we will go find the deer in the mourning. I personally try to DRT them lol but bow hunting is a lil different

I've left elk over night in a foot of snow one time. The meat was still steaming the next morning and I lost a good bit of meat due to spoilage. I will not do that on an elk ever again. They are a big animal and need to be field dressed ASAP. They hold their heat unlike a small deer or antelope.

As far as making a bad shot.....things happen. I feel like It is everyone's responsibility to practice and make every effort for an ethical shot. I believe that comes down to your personal abilities and being honest with yourself about them.

On a side note, Bill Jordan has prob killed more critters then most people on this board.

I've left elk over night in a foot of snow one time. The meat was still steaming the next morning and I lost a good bit of meat due to spoilage. I will not do that on an elk ever again. They are a big animal and need to be field dressed ASAP. They hold their heat unlike a small deer or antelope.
that makes sense now.

I would have been banned from hunting long ago if a poor shot with an arrow was the litmus test.
We started hunting with recurves before compound bows were invented. I remember shooting wood arrows. No sights. No mechanical releases. Only pieces of metal equipment was the Bear broadhead and the steel snap on the leather three finger shooting glove. The good ole days. o_O Back when men were men, and hunting was a lot less comfortable. Had the Michigan woods to ourselves during archery season.

Misses were as common as hits, and bad hits were part of the hunt. That's the way it was. I'm not very critical of a poor hit, because it will happen for any variety of reasons.

Maybe the TV programs should be sanitized. No doubt the majority of them are.

Large bodied game can spoil overnight if left in the field dead overnight, even in cool temperatures. The larger the animal the greater the risk of it. Large bull moose can spoil overnight even if they've been gutted, but not skinned to release the body heat, before leaving them out overnight. And a spoiled moose is a LOT of spoiled meat.

I MUCH prefer shooting a bull moose in the morning, compared to evenings.

Last edited:
There were very few whitetail deer I hit with a sharp broadhead that were not recovered, by the way. Sharp was essential. And some of those recoveries required some genuine hunting skills.

Elk will spoil easily if left over night especially when not gutted. I would guess there is probably a 90% chance.
The next step is to hang it so there will be plenty of air circulation but if that is not possible you should put small logs under the body to let air circulate. Never leave it laying flat on the ground whether in snow or not. One last step - especially on a bull and the bigger the bull the more important it is to split the hide up the back of the neck. The hide is thick with lots of hair and the neck is big. It is a must do.
My favorite go to is to quarter an Elk without gutting it. It will help to cool things fast and it can be done in less time than gutting it out.

If you have never seen it done go to youtube and look up Fred Eichler quartering an Elk. It takes him right at 10 minutes total to get 4 quarters, remove the loins and backstraps. You can always go back the next morning and get neck, rib or any remaining meat.

I don't do any hunting without good game bags anymore.
I don't pack out hide and I don't pack out bones. With big critters you can get some some bone sour going on as well as well. This can even happen in the cooler. If I can get them out whole and home quickly ( happened once). I'll skin them and then split the hind quarter down to the bone on the outside seam between the muscles. It lets the heat out off the bone so I feel okay letting them hang for a bit. It really sucks to lose all that good meat, I'm really careful these days and haven't had a problem for years

I do as nmbarta does....I really like elk meat...I try to save each and every piece possible...also split the hams from as much bone as possible..bones are a heat source and releasing the meat from them allows that meat to cool...
Typically I don't have time to gut the critter....start at the back and skin it down..or start on a leg and skin it to the back...depends on situation...
Skinning leg down gives you a ground cover to work over top of...get one side and backstrap off and roll it over to get at the other side...
Takes me more than 10 minutes though....not that young and strong anymore...
I believe the only reason they recovered those two bulls is because they were using Rage broadheads and ripped those animals massively for bleeding...any other broadhead with those shots and those elk would have been gone....

Last edited:
We had to leave my cow over night, but this was after gutting and removing two quarters, backstrap, and tenderloins. Flipped her over and came back early the next morning. With it being late Oct, temps were definitely cold overnight and the meat was very cool the next morning.

After taking 4 elk between my brother and I, I'm definitely a fan of the gutless method. Quick, clean, and easy to do.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.