Absolute Best Low Light Scope with Illuminated Dot (No Price Limit)

Think there is a consensus. Zeiss,S&B, and Swarovski. I own all 3 of these in different models and I've always thought Swarovski has best glass but I like my Zeiss scopes best. All personal feelings. You can't go wrong with a Swarovski z6i or 8i Have a custom turret(Outdoorsman) incorporated and you need to think little. I have never experienced the tunnel effect on my Zeiss victorys unless I'm at lowest power, which is never. I have found that 6 power at dark in all these scopes is best. As an aside, with a FFP reticle I find illumination unnecessary. Good luck

"For myself,and it sounds like for the OP, I don't care about mechanical functionability, like how well one dials in windage and elevation over the other. They will be sighted and then capped. I don't dial in this type of scope because I am only shooting them to 600 yards, usually at targets that are moving too fast to fiddle with calculations." How much do you lead a running animal at 600 yards? I'd be afraid of a gutshot or ruining a shoulder or ham...unless you're talking feral afghanis.

While not having personal experience with either of these scopes, they have been reviewed very favorably and have large tube diameters which help in light transmission.

I'm looking for the absolute BEST low-light hunting scope with an illuminated dot in the reticle. I like somewhere in the 2-15 range with a 56mm objective.

I currently own a Zeiss Victory HT 3-12x56 Reticle 60, which I LOVE! The only downsides to this scope is the tunnel vision effect and the field of view isn't that great. However, I'm still highly satisfied with it as I mostly care about the low-light gathering and fine illuminated dot.
With that being said, I just purchased a new 6.5 Creedmoor bolt action that I plan to use next season hunting within 100 yards in Mississippi out to 600 yards or so in Nebraska and Missouri. Looking for another scope for this rifle.

I'm currently eyeing the Zeiss Victory V8 2.8-20x56 Reticle 60. I've heard good things about Nightforce, the high-end Vortex, Swarovski, S&B, etc. But, I have no experience with any of them. Doing crazy research before dropping that kind of money.

Help a brother out by dropping a few recommendations and why you chose your pick!
Vortex 3x16 hog scope its 56mm

The Z8i Swarovski in 2.3x18x56 is good and the center dot has 64 levels of illumination. The X5i 3.5x18x50 Swarovski has great turrets,just as good in low light, and 10 levels of reticle illumination . I have both and prefer the X5i. I have a Z8i 2.3x18 x56 P with BRX-I reticle in great shape if you are interested. Gary 478-957-5213
I second the Swaro X5i as an outstanding hunting scope!

Appreciate all of the advice thus far. Looks like it's down to the Zeiss V8 2.8-20x56 60 or the S&B Polar T96 in 3-12x54 D7.

Decisions...decisions...

Or should I just go with the Zeiss V8 4.8-35x60 and cover all the bases. Only sacrificing field of view at 2.8 magnification....

IOR Valdada has offerings in 4.8-30x56 in 40MM main tube in SFP or FFP and illuminated.

I've read optics guru's who say that night force scopes while "really good" aren't truly top of the line optically. My eEXPERIENCE is that I could see bullet holes at 100 yards where I couldn't see the target at 100 yards with the naked eye. WELL past legal hours... good moonlight would be overkill for a night shoot.

Any of the good glass will get you deep into the Jason hour. I love my NSX like anything, tracks to a mile and beyond.... one limitation is the non adjustable illumination (externally adjustable). Does wash out the cross hairs right at that funny light point right where the sun has set. Personally I'd pick kahles... more for the controls than pure optics, though those are good too.

resolution is more important than perceived brightness in all light conditions.

While not having personal experience with either of these scopes, they have been reviewed very favorably and have large tube diameters which help in light transmission.

Yep, the G2 is on my wish list.

I'm looking for the absolute BEST low-light hunting scope with an illuminated dot in the reticle. I like somewhere in the 2-15 range with a 56mm objective.

I currently own a Zeiss Victory HT 3-12x56 Reticle 60, which I LOVE! The only downsides to this scope is the tunnel vision effect and the field of view isn't that great. However, I'm still highly satisfied with it as I mostly care about the low-light gathering and fine illuminated dot.
With that being said, I just purchased a new 6.5 Creedmoor bolt action that I plan to use next season hunting within 100 yards in Mississippi out to 600 yards or so in Nebraska and Missouri. Looking for another scope for this rifle.

I'm currently eyeing the Zeiss Victory V8 2.8-20x56 Reticle 60. I've heard good things about Nightforce, the high-end Vortex, Swarovski, S&B, etc. But, I have no experience with any of them. Doing crazy research before dropping that kind of money.

Help a brother out by dropping a few recommendations and why you chose your pick!

I remember years ago I bought a Leupold VX3 that folks were raving about. Bought it and went out on a hunt. As soon as the sun started to go down, I couldn't see a thing. Compared it side by side the next evening with my Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 and it embarrassed the VX3. At that moment I vowed to never buy another Leupold and sold it the next week. Used that money to buy the Zeiss Victory HT a few weeks later and never looked back!

As I mentioned, I want to try something different to see what's out there. All signs are leading me to the S&B Polar T96. Rated for the best (96%) light transmission, on paper better than the Victory HT...I gotta see that.

I'm also considering selling my Sig Whiskey5 5-25x52 that currently sits on my 6.5-300 Weatherby and swapping it out with the Zeiss V8 4.8-30x60.
Eyes sure are subjective, must be the difference in how we see shades and colours. I've hung an eye exam at 100 yds and went out on a full moon night, I compared a mark 4, vx3i and a zeiss conquest, all are 6.5-20x50mm scopes. The leupolds won, but in reality, they are all good enough to shoot in legal light. I guess the point I'm making, that It's very subjective business when ur dealing with high end scopes

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.