absolute best scope???

Darryl, STL
I was at an optics seminar one time and the fellow told us that he was about to introduce the absolute best pair of binocs ever made.
He pulled out two cardboard centertubes that toilet paper is rolled on, he held them together with rubber bands. He had painted the insides of each tube black.

Then he said he would show us the absolute best scope. It was a cardboard tube that Christmas paper is wrapped on, also painted black inside.

His point was that nothing can match the capability of the human eye. Believe it or not, those simple devises did show us just how incredible the human eye is. The day was bright sunny - we were out in a groomed lawn setting. When we put the two toilet-paper tubes to our eyes, the green grass turned yellowish. Had to do with the dark tube fooling our eyes and allowing more light in. Take the tubes away and the grass turned green. Just try that sometime - use a magic marker to darken the insides of the tubes and hold the tubes directly to each eye. Weird, great thing to show kids. (I would try it today, but our grass is under thirty inches of snow. Yesterday the thermometer outside our kitchen window sat at minus 23 all day, today it has warmed up considerably - only minus 22. Obviously we have to move to Arizona or Alaska for the winter, right Tim and Brent).

We could see the moon at certain times of the day in broad daylight through the long tube - no magnification but we could see it. Point was that it was up there, we were getting too much light in our eyes to be able to see it.

Not sure a Leupold, NXS or Trashco could beat those two toilet paper tubes for sharpness, wonder if one would fit into 30mm Badgers
grin.gif

Thanks S1 for the info on the reamer.

As per the adjustment on the NF as compared to the Leupold LR, the five of us DID adjust correctly for EACH of our eyes and we all came up with the same conclusion. Possibly and probably, your eyes are different compared to the five of us?

As someone mentioned, everyones eyes are not the same but, 5 of us saw the SAME thing that day and that was, Clearer optics in the Leupold. There was NO doubt about it.

I have nothing against the NF as I own 3 of them at present. I can only state what we all agreed on the day we did the comparison.

I remember the comment as---Someone said, why the hell did I buy this 5 1/2X to 22X NXS for $1350.00 when I could Have had "two" Leupold LR 8 1/2X to 25X for that price.
I agree with that statement.

Even if the NF is a bit better for you, for the five of us, the Leupold is a much better buy and the optics seem better. "If" they hold up well, what else could one ask for?

As I mentioned before, you will not convince me any different concerning either scope and I won't convince you, so we are at a stalemate.
wink.gif
I'll enjoy my Leupold LR and you enjoy your NF
smile.gif

Good shooting
DC
smile.gif

S1

You lost complete credibility with me in your last post.
I never said anything about "Tracking" of the Leupold to any other scope. I said the optics were clearer to my eyes then the NF is. I also said that 5 of us agreed to that statement too.
I also said we click to our spotter shot and could do the same thing with a NF and that I liked the Dot or duplex reticule over any holdover reticule. No mention of the word "Tracking" was said by me, only you.

If your going to mention something I said, do it accurately, please.

Maybe we can just agree to disagree on this subject and like I mentioned before----You enjoy your NF and I will enjoy my Leupold LR scopes and we will live happy ever after?

If "YOU" like NF and they are fine for you, that's what counts.
If "I" like the Leupold LR better, then thats what works for me. OK?

Most people are not using tax payer dollars to buy whatever they want, like you have mentioned you do.

Many on this forum don't have unlimited funds concerning scopes and equipment and want the best quality for the money they have to spend. The Leupold LR fills that space quite well. Hope you can see where I'm coming from on this issue?

Later and good shooting.
DC
wink.gif

As an add on here----I also mentioned that the Leupold LR or the NF may not be the "best" scopes out there.

[ 03-03-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

S1

I'll buy that and agree with the different styles of shooting as per the Tactical types compaired to hunting styles.

If the NF works for you and the group of Military shooters you were refering to, that's what counts. Continue Helping keep the country safe if that's your capacity.

As per the young shooter on this forum and with limited funds, a shift of POI will not affect him as much if he is using the spotter system for hunting with a team member. Therefore the Leupold LR will fit his needs quite well.

I don't believe I ever said that the Leu was the Superior scope. I only said the optics were clearer to "ME" and 4 others who tested it. There are some features of the NF MXS that are better then the Leu however.
For instance, the MOA elevation adjustment, the NF NXS with the 1/4 MOA clicks does have more then the Leupold in this area.

Both scopes have side wheel focus. There are more reticules available in the NXS and it has a lighted reticule is some of them also.

Point is, does that warrent the cost of $1350.00 as compared to $700.00 for the type LR hunting most do on this forum? I think not.

Most LR hunters here are not the type that pulls a rifle out of a drag bag that they have been dragging all over the place while crawling around their bellies all day and night.
I would venture to say that most hunt with a partner and stay stationary most of the day and spot with bigeyes, the game they want to kill at extreme range.
They don't have to manuver to the other end of the mountain either to get a shot because there's too much of a cross wind to try it.

Point is, to each his own as per the scope he wants to use and the style of hunting one wants to do.

If the NF is working for the Law enforcement crowd and the Military shooter, that great.

If you watch the military teams at Camp Perry and sniper school, most have Leupolds on them.

Good shooting
DC
smile.gif

[ 03-04-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Absolute best? Didn't see anyone in this entire post say anything about U.S. OPTICS. Hands down, the best. And neither Nightforce or the Luppys compare. But, then again, the price......

grin.gif
put the hubble telescope on your rifle! i'd say that's the best there is. you could see the ticks on a moose in russia with that thing!

Littletoes, I mentioned it but found out today that the BEST SCOPE made was the Eyes that GOD gave us. Able to see technology, into the future. Trust your eyes and the mechinical part will adjust.

Just my dime. Hey if we keep dropping 2 cents,nickels and dimes we might be able to git us one of th'm Hubbles
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Pretty sure my horse would balk at the site of a hubble, and no way its going in a scabbard - even a custom made one.
Best scope? Well, it is a great debate, but it is totally subjective. Kind of like best cartridge, best gun, best car or best looking girl. I agree with Boyd - NO SUCH THING.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.