About time!

Ben I'd say you've done a really fine job here.

I'd also say not to worry about any "upgrades" until you see how this rig shoots for you.

If and when you do decide to upgrade the barrel you definitely need to look at 24"-28" not at 20" barrels.

Get out and shoot this thing and give us a report! gun)

Ben I'd say you've done a really fine job here.

I'd also say not to worry about any "upgrades" until you see how this rig shoots for you.

If and when you do decide to upgrade the barrel you definitely need to look at 24"-28" not at 20" barrels.

Get out and shoot this thing and give us a report! gun)

What is the problem with 20 in barrels if I may ask, less velocity or loss of accuracy? Also I mainly want a new barrel because I like the bull barrel look much better!

And I think I could easily make the adjustable cheek rest for less than $20, saw one on another site for a little over $7. Also planning on buying a Tac Ops cheek pad to go over that! Thank you for all the replies and help:D

Last edited:
What is the problem with 20 in barrels if I may ask, less velocity or loss of accuracy?

Its a velocity issue. The shorter the barrel, the less you get. Luckily the .308 is one of the calibers that is least effected by length. You should be able to push a 175grn bullet to 2550-2626fps that will get you too 1000yds. The adjustment in the scope is the other variable.

Tank

So I could still push a 20in barrel to 1000yards if I ever get there?
You can, but you will have less accuracy and less energy at 1000yds (all else being equal) than you would with a 24" or longer barrel.

Longer, heavier=Steadier and more velocity out of the same cartridge.

If 600-1000yds or greater is your goal, don't wast time and money by limiting yourself in such a way.

I would say that for those distances 24" should be the minimum barrel length you consider.

Ok well at the moment I only have a 500ish yard range to shoot! I don't even know of 1000 yard range anywhere near here....would 20in be alright for hunting (deer, maybe elk) at 200-500 yards?

Ok well at the moment I only have a 500ish yard range to shoot! I don't even know of 1000 yard range anywhere near here....would 20in be alright for hunting (deer, maybe elk) at 200-500 yards?
It will work, but again, if you go look even at off the shelf "deer guns", you will see that almost all will have 24-26" barrels.

You are giving up about 200 FPS and a consdiderable amount of energy going with a 20" vs 24" barrel, and again, all else being equal, you will be giving up some accuracy as well.

I understand the loss of velocity but have seen great accuracy from an 18in barrel! The guy had shot a .625 in group at 100yds with this 18in barrel. Which I understand may not be an impressive group to some but to me thats a great group that I would sure be happy with:D Also I am certainly not trying to smart off by any means...just curious and wanting to learn as much as I can!

Here is a link to the 18in barrel!SniperCentral - View topic - Stevens 200 .308 build, .625" group!

I understand the loss of velocity but have seen great accuracy from an 18in barrel! The guy had shot a .625 in group at 100yds with this 18in barrel. Which I understand may not be an impressive group to some but to me thats a great group that I would sure be happy with:D Also I am certainly not trying to smart off by any means...just curious and wanting to learn as much as I can!

Here is a link to the 18in barrel!SniperCentral - View topic - Stevens 200 .308 build, .625" group!
You are looking at a dedicated medium and short range rifle that does a nice job of being a nice medium and short range rifle.

I've shot much tighter groups with my 10/22 and .204's than that, but I don't recommend either of them as being an ideal long range hunting rig. Why? Because they are not.

Let's look at a couple of examples that actually apply here.

M24

M24 Sniper Weapon System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

24" barrel.

M40

M40 rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

24" Barrel.

You are giving up an average of 300fps by going with an 18" barrel, and if again, all else being equal, you could get the same accuracy from one trust me, we'd not have gone with the 24" barrel because they are heavier and less maneuverable in tight quarters than an 18" barrel.

I think the barrel length and accuracy are a mute point. Other than a loss in velocity, you really don't lose any accuracy. I have an 18" 308 also, and the thing just plain shoots. I have recorded .5MOA to 580yds. If you look at the typical velocity of match loads, most guys run 175SMK's at a velocity between 2525-2650. These are in rifles with barrels from 24" to 30". Is there really any advantage. If anything the shorter barrel is going to be stiffer resulting in less barrel whip when firing. Depending on what powder I use, I'm running Hornady 178BTHP and 175 Nosler Custom comps between 2450 and 2500fps. There really is not much of a loss compared to competition shooters. Heck, even military snipers using the M40 and M24 and M118LR are shooting velocities of around 2600-2700fps depending on temperature.

I read an article in Rifle Shooter, or Rifle Magazine that high lighted the use of short barrels and if there were any handicaps to them. Other than the slightest issue of velocity, the shorter barrels were just as capable of producing .25 to .5 MOA groups as a full on target rifle with longer tubes. Is the shorter barrel for everyone....no, but they are just as capable in my opinion. I have even considered shortening my custom barrel to 20-22" because velocity is no longer a real concern for me.

Tank

Ok WildRose I do see your point, thank you for the information! But with a .308 I would most likely never take a shot over 500yds on a big game animal, thats just me. I would hate to wound it and never find it. The main reason I am considering the 20in over the 24in is because out of the reviews I've read on the 2 barrels (E.R. Shaw) the 20in is better made. I know that there are many very fine barrel manufactures out there, but the whole purpose of my build was to try and keep it as low cost as possible. Even more so now that funds are even more limited going to gas and payment on my new truck.....

Liltank thank you also for the info, I think I'll stay with the 20in though because my 50mm scope may look funny with an 18in barrel:D

Thank you guys for all the help and suggestions! Keep em coming!!!!

Liltank thank you also for the info, I think I'll stay with the 20in though because my 50mm scope may look funny with an 18in barrel:D

Thank you guys for all the help and suggestions! Keep em coming!!!!

Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting the 18", I was just stating that length is a mute point in my opinion. That's all:rolleyes:! 20" is a great barrel length in the 308. There is a reason why some companies offer their tactical models in that length.

Tank

Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting the 18", I was just stating that length is a mute point in my opinion. That's all:rolleyes:! 20" is a great barrel length in the 308. There is a reason why some companies offer their tactical models in that length.

Tank

Ok I didn't think you were, but wasn't quite sure! I think an 18in would be AWESOME if tou had a small diameter scope! Thanks for all your help and info!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.