About time!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15qj032UJ1I]18" Barrel to 1000 yards - YouTube[/ame]

Run the numbers of short vs. long and then make your decision on what is important to you.

I have a friend getting ready to build a 338-300RUM and he's dead set on a 30" barrel. Fact is, longer barrels are more whippy than short barrels, and thus must be thicker to compensate for this, adding weight. It all depends on what's important to you.

Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - Articles: Barrel Lenghts and Velocities in the 338/378 Weatherby Magnum

Wow love that rifle! Thanks for the vid! I think I am set on a 20in...I just like that compact, easier to move around gun! Also I just like the look of the short barrels!:rolleyes: So I think I am set on the 20in! I know I am hard headed but I've read better reviews on the shorter barrel as well! I am hoping to get the barrel soon!!!!gun)My next build might have to have a long barrel:rolleyes:

Just another quick question, when swapping barrels can I get away with just Go and No-Go headspace gauges? Or do I also need a "field gauge" I think it is called? Thanks

Last edited:
Just another quick question, when swapping barrels can I get away with just Go and No-Go headspace gauges? Or do I also need a "field gauge" I think it is called? Thanks

Actually you just need a go gauge and masking tape. You set the head spacing with the go gauge, then place a single piece of masking tape on the base end of the gauge (cut to fit). Push your bolt forward and try to close the bolt handle. Don't force it, just press down. If if closes you need to tighten the barrel down farther. If it doesn't close, then you are good to go. You can also use 3 pieces of scotch tape. Or you could buy the no go gauge. That's up to you. You don't need the field gauge. I would suggest buying from Pacific Tool and Gauge.

Tank

So just the Go gauge and everything would still be safe? I have never done this and wanna be as safe as I can....but if I didn't need the No-go gauge that would save me a few bucks:D

So just the Go gauge and everything would still be safe? I have never done this and wanna be as safe as I can....but if I didn't need the No-go gauge that would save me a few bucks:D
I only have the go gauge. I use tape as my no go. I have yet to blow anything up!:D Now I don't suggest this, but you can actually use a piece of virgin brass (unfired) to set your head spacing. Then you use the tape technique for the no go. I bought the go gauge because I wanted consistency every time I take it on and off.

Tank

One of the many benefits of a Savage vs the other brands. Nice gun. :)

Another thought to all this short vs long discussion is longer barrels are harder to shoot accurately. Many guys who have stepped straight from a 22.5" sporter barrel like my 30/06 to a 30"+ boomer like a 338 Allen Mag have a hard time getting good groups until they learn how to shoot it. Shorter barrels are more error forgiving. gun)

Liltank thank you very much! I think I will go ahead and buy the PTG go gauge and use the tape as the no-go!

Good thank you as well as I have never fired a long barrel on a rifle! So I may have trouble with the longer barrel!

I will certainly keep you guys updated!gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.