? about lathe quality.

kc

My oldest brother got his hands on a Clawson Lathe, he payed $1000 for it, the Machine is in very good condition he tested it on a .75 diameter dowel pin and it never changed its center.
I don't know much about there quality. its going into his garage thanks to his neighbors BobCat.
do you or any of the members here know about there quality?

kc, I've seen Clausen, (or Claussen?) lathes in industrial machine shops. I have heard that they are a high quality, precision lathe.

If it is Clawson, it might be a knock-off. See if you can find something that says where it was made. If it's the real deal, I think your brother hit the jackpot.

Good luck, Tom

I did not see where it was made but I know my spelling was off, I went on Google,
It was in the shop where he worked for about 35 years++ the owners kid had it in his work shop and it just took up space its abot 5 1/2 ft long I wished he had gotten a surface grinder and a Bridgport Mill too!

kc and Eddie, I knew my spelling didn't look right. Clausing is the one I was trying to remember.
I'll bet that's what kc's brother has. *JACKPOT*

Tom

I did not see where it was made but I know my spelling was off, I went on Google,
It was in the shop where he worked for about 35 years++ the owners kid had it in his work shop and it just took up space its abot 5 1/2 ft long I wished he had gotten a surface grinder and a Bridgport Mill too!

80% of lathes are never installed correctly, and 90% of the people out there have no idea how to do it right. I'd suggest you email the manufacturer for instructions on how to level, and then align the machine. It's very critical to the work quality.
As for buying a Bridgeport mill. I setup four or five a year for guys that have bought them, and they ain't what they used to be! All Bridgeports are now made in Asia, and there are better ones that are similar in design. They tend to wear rapidly when you get into the larger models, and try to find one with a 42" or shorter table as they tend to wear a lot less. Guys ask me all the time about buying one, and I always tell them to buy the one with the step pulleys on the head instead of the variable speed head. There's a major design flaw that Bridgeport has never addressed. The best one out there is from Willis Machine (if you can even find one). It uses #40 Ericson tool holders instead of the R8 or Bridgeport taper. Another one that's better than the Bridgeport is the Southwest Trac, but the other is still even better. I also recommend installing scales on the machine if it's in good shape. Once you start using them you'll never look back.
As for a small surface grinder; there are many out there. I like the Taft Pierce and the DoAll. If you find a Taft Pierce with the Pope head on it for a reasonable price, then jump on it! They are easy to rebuild (not the head!) if it has the ball bearing slides. The Brown & Sharpe is not near the quality of these two, and if it has the auto head and travel they are a nightmare. The DoAll is usually sold as a manual machine, and is extremely accurate (the same with the Taft Pierce). Most are used as gauge grinders, so that ought to give you an idea of their accuracey
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.