A5 rig, balance point question

KurtB

Guys, Never ran an A5 or any kind of mcmillan tactical. Here is what I am thinking of building, thoughts on how it would balance:

Rem 700 with holland lug
26" 9 twist Rem varmint contour for 7mm Remington Magnum
ADL bottom metal
A5 mcmillan, 13.75 lop and magnum fill

Thinking it should be about right and hoping to run 180 bergers in it. Any other thoughts on barrel contour?

If it were me, I'd make the following adjustments.

28 to 30" barrel. If you're going with the Holland lug, you'll have to remove the barrel and index any way so......... just more dollars:)

Up the cartridge size to 7 mm RUM. The Win isn't that much more than the 280.

No brake necessary but, I'd stick one on anyway.......

It would be a bit much for a carry gun, but the A5 isn't much for carrying anyway.

If you wish to stay with the barreled action stated, I'd switch to a more sporting style McMillan type stock. Not much more than the "look" would be sacrificed.

I have your 'dream' setup in 338 RUM except with a brake and a Remington tupperware stock. Great for carry and very very good for LRH.

I have the lefthanded, trued Rem action with Holland lug and black t coating on it. My other idea was a Mcmillan classic, a #3 contour finished at 25". Definitely more packable and based on my luck with other rigs this fall, I am sure it would suffice. Any other thoughts welcomed.

It might be worthwhile extending the tube though if I go A5.

I have an A5 and an A3-5. I will never get another A5. The A3-5 is a lot easier to carry and just feels better in your hands.

Another truly nice stock is the Manners MCS-TA, or the T version. The TA has an adjustable cheek, the T does not. Very versatile stock, and Manners makes top quality stuff.

Have a good one
Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.