A very stupid question ( please dont laugh)

G

Just got my Redding full length bushing sizing die in. It says the best way to get the correct bushing dia. is to measure a loaded round. OK here it comes. I don't have a loaded round in 6.5-284. So..How in the world to I get the size to make sure I get/have the right bushings.

I can hear the chuckles now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks a million in advance

Joe

Almost forgot to mention. I also have just a redding standard die as well. Maybe just size and seat a bullet then go from there?

Duhh

Joe

That's the way you do it, measure several loaded round then order a bushing that is .001-.002" smaller than the smallest neck diameter. At least that's Reddings recommendation.
db

Can you measure the cas mouth wall thickness X 2 and add it to the bullet diameter for this "loaded round" dimension?

A very stupid answer

YES - But it never seems to be quite as accurate. I'd also suggest at least .003" in neck reduction. You will get about .001" of natural spring back when the case neck is removed from the bushing. This leaves .002" of neck tension which is minimal IMO.

VH ;

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.