Neck sizing and turning order (stupid question)

• Thread starter Deleted member 107666
  • Start date
Reviving again... seems like ADG 300wm is consistently measuring .014 neck wall thickness.

I'm debating on neck turning (running out of time and money with my build and need to get this done and to the range to work up a load before Oct).

Anybody see any flaws in just neck sizing with a bushing down to .003 or .004 tension and then an expander mandrel to open up to .002 based on that .014 average?

Seems most folks are finding neck turning to not be needed with ADGs quality?

thatll work ....... i guess ......if your into settling for a sub par loads :D. i can just imagine the new nicknames youll get at huntcamp.. vandyalmosta , mrs. often,. mr. Juan moretime;)
j/k

you got time , high gear.. lets go , lets go lets go !!!

all kidding aside .. that would probably work just fine .
you could always weed out the ones that take more seating pressure or the ones that measure out of the average neck diameter during load work up

Last edited:
It's starting to click...thanks.

Do I have this right...for steps
1. Expander mandrel (.307, allows .001 springback to fit the .306 neck turn pilot
2. Neck turn
3. Full length (or neck only) size brass with bushing for .002 neck tension - expander ball removed
4. Just to be sure, use expander mandrel specifically sized to expand for .002 overall neck tension

Then trim to length and, chamfer and debur...

First if you're starting with new brass assume that it's ready to load.

I'd first check length and trim as needed. Chamfer the case mouth inside and outside and deburr flash hole if needed.

For .308 expand with a .307 [I use a Sinclair carbide] mandrel and turn with a .306 mandrel. At this point I'd just load them as is and not try for any specific neck tension. For the future instead of a bushing I'd FL size and expand up with either of the Sinclair mandrels. Or depending upon your neck thickness run them into the sizer and don't expand the necks if you have a way to measure inside neck diameter and it's something like .305.

You also speak of springback. One way to minimize this [if it's even an issue] is to run the case up into the sizer and leave it there for 10 or more seconds instead of pulling it right back out.

Alright, last bump of this.

My ADG virgin brass neck thickness is .0145 - .0139 with a tubing mic...

Do I neck turn or leave it? I'd like to do a cleanup trim as I've already expanded them out with the mandrel.

Would .0135 be too thin and risk splitting necks early? Read an article on accurate shooter and they guy always turned them to .013...but I think was partially driven by his chamber dimensions.

IMHO I don't think so brother. I have had chambers that required next turned brass as low as .0105 and I never had issues with split necks but I always anneal every firing also if that helps it at all, well I would like to think so but maybe not lol. A quick clean up skim won't hurt nothing brother and .013 is plenty of meat left! Just my opinion of coarse. Good luck brother

Neck is measuring at .0130 on these after trimming....that's about .001 trimmed off. It would appear there are some spots slightly less than .013 based on where it was not turned off (still the original brass...but it measures pretty dang close.

If image upload wasn't such a pain in the rear on here, I'd have a picture, but cant get a URL to work.

Good to go, or I need to shoot for .0125 or so to ensure neck is 100% shiny/turned.

Not shooting bench rest or anything, just want to do a good job for my hunting rifle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, for the overthinking this.

Shooting .308 cal bullets. I'd bought a .332 neck bushing planning on .014 neck tension. To set .004 tension and expend out with a .306 mandrel for .002.

Problem is, with the necks at .013, that .332 neck bushing compresses down to .002 tension. So my .306 mandrel does no work.

Do I need to size down to a .331 or .330 bushing and then expand back out to ensure the expander us doing some work?

Or am I overthinking this and since the .306 mandrel fits snugly by hand, that I should be set at .002 tension and time to call it good and load?

Any reason for concern is it's a hunting rifle and wanted .002 at a minimum tension.

could be a few things

your bushing is not what it says it is , your expander is not what it says it is , your neck measurement may be slighty off 5000/10000 , spring back might be putting you closer to each other

id try anneaning first if that doesnt help with springback, then change to a 331

might also take a measurememt of the neck while on the expander & compare with what you get while over a seated bullet

Last edited:
By my math though, it is correct at .002 tension.

I was just wondering if I needed to over compress by .001 or so with the bushing and say to .003 and then expand out to .002.

These were expanded out for neck turning with their .307, necks plus bullet are .334, then used .332 bushing (this is where I'm wondering if I need a .331 bushing) and then when I ran the .306 expander, it was a perfect fit.

It was suggested here to expand for size instead of bushing. My .332 bushing was based on .014 necks but I ended up with .013 so was unable to over compress the necks by .001 and then expand back out.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.