A straight sized case, and dies and presses

.30-06

What brand delivers the best results? We all know that there are alot more varibles, but I just want your take on what I posted.

Got the dies but not the press
I need a press with a large enough space for reloading 338 Lapua I ended up with the Redding
image.jpg
ultra mag

Last edited:
OK, the OP wants a the best press. But he gives no specifics. That Redding Ultramag press will have a tremendous long throw. If you ever decide to reload 200 .223, you would HATE it.

I have two presses, and am contemplating a 3rd. One is the vaunted Forster C0-Ax, which for some processes is the absolute cats meow. But after a couple years, I bolted my old RCBS-2 onto a mobile base because certain things just went better with that one. I have a relatively cheap LEE cast unit that I got cheap too. Laying around. Seems to be really well made. Got it for friend who has cold feet now. Looking for a spot on my 8' of bench for another press!

In short, I think there is no "right" press. Tell the group more what you are planning to do, and you will get better answers. Of course, many people buying a press are just starting and don't know what they plan to do.. At least tell us you cartridge palate currently....... Do you want to dabble into serious necking down? Big stuff like aforementioned? Or does volume and speed appeal (Co-Ax for a single stage gets nod here, for instance)

Kind of aside, but my biggest enjoyment in terms of equipment upgrade has been better quality dies. Carbide expanders. Micrometer seaters. etc. Press is a press is a press. More or less......

I just load .30-06 and .270 hunting rifles for longer range hunting. I have a FA coax M-press to fool around for straighter ammo. I seriously doubt I'll get a precision rig. I have a Lee classic single stage that the casting has wear, probably from me. It doesn't cam over to use thier collet neck die. It's easier to size with cam over rather than putting pressure and not sizing correctly. I just picked up a original 78' RC. Tight press for it's age, probably not used much. I should have waited and bought a Forster coax, now that it's available. I just learned about Redding dies and was told they are a better die. Took them for granted, but everybody has thier preference. I'm tempted to get a fli right concentricity gauge from premiere accuracy. it tests the cartridge just behind the shoulder with the bullet supported with a tamper to straighten bullets.

I just load .30-06 and .270 hunting rifles for longer range hunting. I have a FA coax M-press to fool around for straighter ammo. I seriously doubt I'll get a precision rig. I have a Lee classic single stage that the casting has wear, probably from me. It doesn't cam over to use thier collet neck die. It's easier to size with cam over rather than putting pressure and not sizing correctly. I just picked up a original 78' RC. Tight press for it's age, probably not used much. I should have waited and bought a Forster coax, now that it's available. I just learned about Redding dies and was told they are a better die. Took them for granted, but everybody has thier preference. I'm tempted to get a fli right concentricity gauge from premiere accuracy. it tests the cartridge just behind the shoulder with the bullet supported with a tamper to straighten bullets.
Check the thread most useless piece of reloading equipment you'll see a lot of people get a concentricity gauge either get paranoid and go overboard checking their stuff or quit checking it completely