A/R problem

257WTBY

Here is the deal. I ordered a AR from a builder who builds some fine rifles. I called and talked to him several times before I ordered the rifle. Anyway I ordered the rifle the 5th of January. I paid for the A/R in full with a delivery date of 1 April. I am a pretty patient guy anyway 1 April came and went with nothing from the builder on the 7th I called apparently the lowers he ordered were not built to his specs so he sent them back. 1 May I called again and the lowers r supposed to be back anytime. Finally I email/text/call and get a response he says the was a problem with powder coating and it's being redone now. Oh in the mean time there is a medical problem with spouse. It's over 45 days late. I told him all along I needed it for a p-dog hunt next weekend. I have every thing else ready to go minus the rifle. When do I turn into a A-hole to him and go after getting my money back? Am I not being reasonable? I have had several other guns built without a 45+ day delay. What would you guys do?

I don't want to be a ***** but I sure can be...........

Here is the deal. I ordered a AR from a builder who builds some fine rifles. I called and talked to him several times before I ordered the rifle. Anyway I ordered the rifle the 5th of January. I paid for the A/R in full with a delivery date of 1 April. I am a pretty patient guy anyway 1 April came and went with nothing from the builder on the 7th I called apparently the lowers he ordered were not built to his specs so he sent them back. 1 May I called again and the lowers r supposed to be back anytime. Finally I email/text/call and get a response he says the was a problem with powder coating and it's being redone now. Oh in the mean time there is a medical problem with spouse. It's over 45 days late. I told him all along I needed it for a p-dog hunt next weekend. I have every thing else ready to go minus the rifle. When do I turn into a A-hole to him and go after getting my money back? Am I not being reasonable? I have had several other guns built without a 45+ day delay. What would you guys do?

I don't want to be a ***** but I sure can be...........

You consider yourself patient? I've had AR uppers wth no special factory options take as much as 10 months. Others who have ordered rifles are in the queue in front of you. Who get's their's first?
Nearly all "complete rifle" gunsmiths are dependent on their suppliers of barrels, receivers, bolts, etc. Threats any kind are likely to move you to the end of the list. If he's a GOOD gunsmith he's very busy. You can get mediocre ARs off the shelf at any gunshop..

What would I do?
I'd take one of my small bore bolt action rifles to the PD hunt. It will likely shoot better than the AR anyway.
Surely you didn't sell your only other rifle to buy the AR and leave yourself with no rifle at all.
A 257 Wby is overkilll for PDs but so what?
Be patient and enjoy your AR when it eventually arrives.

I built mine during the outage of stock (2013). I ordered a barrel knowing I would have to wait forever for it. I waited eight months and looking back that gave me time and money to research the rest of my build. Anyone can build an AR-15, you tube has it all. However your builder has experience and tools you may not have. Such as truing the front face of the receiver. Sorry about your hunt but it sounds like you didn't allow enough time to break in a new rifle and work out a dope chart anyway.

Sounds like "your guy" might be going out of business???? Try to get your money back since you won't have your rifle in time for your hunt. The internet can be very helpful. Before I ordered my new 18" varmint upper from White Oak Armament I checked out as many builders I could find and WOA was the "ONLY" one that I never read "ANY" complaints about their service, wait time or especially their accuracy. I ordered mine on 2-10-14 and at that time I was told that I should get it in the middle of May. It was delivered 5-15-14 to my home. It also shoots 5 shot groups way under 1/2" at 100 yds. Oh I also had the barrel fluted under the hand guard and on the end of the barrel to save some weight. :) gun)- - - - - - - - - - - -

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17555&cat=261&page=1

joseph

Attachments

• new upper .JPG
    new upper .JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 89
  • new upper 1 .JPG
    new upper 1 .JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 77
  • WOA BARREL END .JPG
    WOA BARREL END .JPG
    237.6 KB · Views: 85
Where do you guys live that you need to have someone "build" and A/R? There are a zillion quality A/R on the web that will shoot as good if not better than a custom job....

Biggest problem here is that you paid in-full up-front. Next time you do something like this, arrange it so that it is payment on delivery.

As for what you should do now, depending on if you want to go down this road, tell him you're cancelling the order because it is well past delivery and you want your money back.

Where do you guys live that you need to have someone "build" and A/R? There are a zillion quality A/R on the web that will shoot as good if not better than a custom job....

Here is the first 100 yd. 5 shot group with 65 gr. Sierras Game Kings I shot with my new WOA upper to foul the barrel. The next 5 shot group I shot with 69 gr. Sierra Match Kings was smaller.

joseph

Attachments

• 5 shots 65 gr. .JPG
    5 shots 65 gr. .JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 79
  • WOA BARREL END .JPG
    WOA BARREL END .JPG
    237.6 KB · Views: 76
PRI makes good AR uppers as well Compass Eng in FL

Both are No 1 in quality

I built my MK 12 with a lot of the parts from PRI

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 80
Well I got my AR. We got a great P-dog hunt in. I ordered another scope for the AR. someone said why take the AR well it was for my 14yo daughter to use. I bought another bolt rifle to take and she used that. As far as patience I believe I was and I took heed to some advice and just waited. Overall other then extra delay and purchasing another .223 bolt gun (not a bad thing right you can't have to many rifles) I am satisfied as soon as my scope comes in I will post some pics and hopefully some little tiny groups...

I built a custom ar 15 and ar 10. These are really the easiest to build. A couple of videos on youtube and off i went. You become very connected to the rifles.You learn them inside and out.You hear every click ,feel every moving part. Order the pieces or buy at brick and mortar. Depending on money you can space it out or all at once. the tools are not very pricey.Once they are done i would out shoot all the 2000+ $ rifles and everybody lines up to shoot mine. Great feeling,but great guns. The only way to miss is to shoot it in the sky. I really dont care for the ar platform.My son likes them so i made them for him.Im a milsurp and old west guy myself. After doing these i think builders are taking advantage of our nervousness. You will have great satisfaction when you light it off for the first time. You will also shock your friends when they have an issue with theirs and you tear it down,fix it and have it back together in 10 min.Remember they are the swatch watch of guns.You can buy them pretty inexpensive.Double that price when you make onefor yourself.Keep shootinglightbulb

Here is a picture with the new Warne QD Ultra High Aluminum rings. They are very strong, but light too. They measure 1.5" from the top of the Picatinny rail to the middle of the scope tube. This is 1/8" higher than the P-SERIES split mounts I had before. The Warne rings gives me a much more comfortable cheek weld than the others.

I also have a red LED light for varmint hunting at night.

joseph

PS: THE scope is not bent. The photo is distorted.

Attachments

• WARNE ULTRA LIGHT 1"RINGS 1 .JPG
    WARNE ULTRA LIGHT 1"RINGS 1 .JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 86
  • WARNE ULTRA LIGHT QD RINGS .JPG
    WARNE ULTRA LIGHT QD RINGS .JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 70
  • AM. HUNTER LIGHT .JPG
    AM. HUNTER LIGHT .JPG
    202 KB · Views: 85
  • AM. HUNTER LIGHT 1 .JPG
    AM. HUNTER LIGHT 1 .JPG
    78 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Nice looking rifles .When i see pics like these it makes me happy i spent the time to make one.Good job,be safe and happy shooting. 300 yrds all day everyday.:D

Well I got my AR. We got a great P-dog hunt in. I ordered another scope for the AR. someone said why take the AR well it was for my 14yo daughter to use. I bought another bolt rifle to take and she used that. As far as patience I believe I was and I took heed to some advice and just waited. Overall other then extra delay and purchasing another .223 bolt gun (not a bad thing right you can't have to many rifles) I am satisfied as soon as my scope comes in I will post some pics and hopefully some little tiny groups...
Hello; Lets talk Math (both monetary and ballistic) and time. Your builders time frame was plain crazy. Being a retired home builder, I could build you a fine home in 8 months by myself!! Money; I build AR's (mostly M4 because thats what sells) however my most accurate AR is a 14yr old DPMS I paid $900.00. It is my competition AR and has always shot under 1/2 MOA and still does, after 7000+ rounds. Granted; it is the SUPER Bull 24' barrel (great for P-dogs and bench shooting but too heavy for much else) and it's topped off with a NF benchrest 42X scope. But its a 900 dollar rifle none the less. Ballistics: Sure; in competition at 100yds a AR 1/2 MOA rig is not going to win over a benchrest 1/4 MOA rig. You are asking the AR to shoot twice as good as it can. However when hunting; it is just a quarter of an inch difference per 100. Dope the wind and range properly and both rifles will hit the mark. Spending months and big dollars in the quest of maybe a slight more accuracy?. I don't think the dead p-dog will know the difference. But you will. ART

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.