AR15 Suppressor problem

sheetsp

Just did a new build on Spikes Tact lower with KAK 5.56 kit. Function tested great breaking in barrel. Then screwed my can on and only fires 1st rnd. Seems the hammer wont stay in cocked position. Used factory PMC FMJ 55gr. just to get on paper. What can I do to rid this single shot problem? Ideas Anyone?

Last edited:
Just did a new build on Spikes Tact lower with KAK 5.56 kit. Function tested great breaking in barrel. Then screwed my can on and only fires 1st rnd. Seems the hammer wont stay in cocked position. Used factory PMC FMJ 55gr. just to get on paper. What can I do to rid this single shot problem? Ideas Anyone?

Do you have an adjustable gas block? If not you may need one.

You need to tune your gas to compensate for the added back pressure you're getting from the can.
You can either run an adjustable gas block or you can experiment with heavier buffers.
What is probably happening is that your carrier is slamming back and kicking forward so fast, your bolt isn't picking up your next round out of the mag. That would explain no "bang" on 2nd squeeze.
Also, if your carrier is moving too fast, your trigger might not be resetting correctly either. Not typical because if the bolt is moving back, it should be re-setting, but anything is possible with too much gas.

Thanks C Bass, That is sum helpful info. I will try the heavier JP buffer setup first.

Go to a heavier buffer

I like Damaged Ind. H6 buffer that is 5 oz. ( the military upgrade Army for M4)

I also use a Damaged Ind Enhanced CS buffer carbine spring with B5 stock on MK 12 Mod 0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Is yours a carbine or mid length (or rifle length) gas system?

According to Kyle Lamb, US military (retired?) and sometime writer for Guns and Ammo, running an AR suppressed is very hard on it, magazines sometimes have a hard time keeping up. He claims mid length gas system helps with this (and by same logic, rifle length should be better still).

I hear the mid length and rifle length systems shoot softer too, although as long as you don't take "nose to the charging handle" to extremes with iron sights any .223/5.56MM shoots plenty soft. And with an optic I'd think its a non issue unless you are shooting something heavier.

If you already have mid or rifle length gas, I'll be interested to hear what seems to be solution.

I'm inclined to hold off on a suppressor for my Colt M4 since it has carbine length system.
That, plus taxes due cuts into budget.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.