Ar15 jamming

patrick021

My ar will cycle 556 but won't the 223 sometime it jams or just don't pick up the cartridge .can it be the spring or buffer tube? What should I look for?

How much has it been shot? Does the 556 ammo lock back the bolt after the final shot? If not it could be you need new gas rings if it's been shot a lot.

It's had about 80 rounds through it

shoot the hell out of it with the 5.56 and get it well broken in.

you have to lubricate the bolt carrier group properly. Lots of people say run it wet.

make sure you disassemble the bolt carrier group and lubricate the end of the bolt where the gas rings are and the cam pin where it goes through the bolt carrier group.

Did you build this gun or what manufacturer is it.

could be a problem with the gas port in the barrel or a misaligned gas block or a misaligned gas tube where it meets the gas key or a loose gas key or the spring in the receiver extension. Many times people change the spring when the problem is really something else.

I built the rifle I will give it a try I changed the spring and buffer tube I had an extra that did not change anything I will check the alignment thanks

021, I've seen the low price steel case ammo jam a lot of AR's at the range. Also hand loads loaded with standard die sets instead of small base dies. Hope this helps. Good luck

I built the rifle I will give it a try I changed the spring and buffer tube I had an extra that did not change anything I will check the alignment thanks

best receiver extension/buffer system is a viltor A5. Just about anything will run with that.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts