AR-15 Problem.

The Surgeon

I was asked this question by another shooter who was using this weapon the other day at a local range. He asked my group "what would be causing the AR-15 to Stove Pipe a round while shooting?"

He also stated that he was shooting Hornady and stated that the firearm was clean. He also said that the firearm was produced by Hi-Point, I believe, which I had no idea that they had an "AR" line. Since I know jack about "AR's" that's no surprise.

No one in our group had a legitimate answer for him. So, what could be the cause, bad ejector? I know very little about this platform and if the question ever came up again, I would at least have some good information to pass on.

Thanks!

I DON'T think Hi-Point makes an AR, however, I would first try another magazine. Next choice would be to check the ejector spring if it were an AR (or not). There are one hell of a lot of variables for this. Let me know if it is an AR and I will try to post some help.

Quite a few things could cause a stove pipe. Questions , it is random or consistent, did it just start or has it always done this, tried different ammo, hand load or factory, is it a .556 or .223 chamber.

Things I would look at in this order:

Check ammo or try a different load.

Check magazine or try another...lots of junk out there

Make sure chamber is clean and action is wet

Check extractor fit. Make sure the small rubber bumper didn't get lost during cleaning/ reassembly....most common cause or ejection problems.

Check ejector button for tension and free movement.

Check buffer/spring. Proper tension, is it clean.

I have had several AR's over many years and found them to be extremely reliable if you follow some basic rules. Most problems come from bad ammo, improper assembly, or using mismatched components.

Check gas pipe

Was it properly lubricated? A bunch of folk run them a little on the dry side. Just ask the wifester, things run better with lube.:D

I DON'T think Hi-Point makes an AR, however, I would first try another magazine. Next choice would be to check the ejector spring if it were an AR (or not). There are one hell of a lot of variables for this. Let me know if it is an AR and I will try to post some help.

It was an AR-15/556. I do know that. But on the brand, I wasn't paying much attention when he told me the brand, since I know absolutely nothing about this gun.
I was attentive to his problem, in which I felt bad about not having an answer for him. But like you, I felt that it was like any other semi-auto and there could be several causes. I told him that it could be the ejector or the mag. I am very cautious about what info I give out for fear that it would send them down the wrong road and that is the last thing I would want to do. One thing that made me think of the mag was that he said that he has had the gun for about a year. I have run across a few people who maintain a very clean weapon but fail to realize that the magazine needs maintenance to.

I remember a gunsmith telling me that a good way to tell if I am dealing with a gunsmith, worth his salt, the good smith will tell you up front if they can do the job or not. The good smith will never give information or offer work if they feel that they are not qualified.

With that being said, I have a real passion about firearms and gunsmith work. So the premise for asking this question was for my knowledge, since the chances of running into this guy again are slim and none. I know a little bit about the platforms I use, and if you ask some, I know just enough to be dangerous. But, I want to have as much info as I can with as many platforms as possible. The way I see it, if I can learn as much as I can about weapons such as the AR, A-bolt, and the 1911-A1 platforms I am doing fairly well. My goal is to enroll myself in a gunsmith program with an emphasis in CNC machine work in a school here in Oklahoma.

So I sincerely thank you and all the others that help my knowledge base.

Last edited:
Thank you to all the folks that have helped me with this. It's really good to have places/forums like this with great folks that are willing to freely offer advice and knowledge.

This site and others like it, are a true benefit to the shooting community

Thank You,
Surgeon

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.