A nice looking rifle...

goodgrouper

Here is a pic of my new 6.5 short mag that I just got back from the smith. Good lookin' huh?!
65shortmag.jpg

OK, OK. So it isn't mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I just thought that you might like to see it.
It is actually my buddies new stick. He brought it down from WYoming to shoot in a 1k comp we had here in Utah last weekend. It shot well.

It is a switch barrel Remmy with a speedy G sleeve and a Mcmillan Heavy Br stock. The brake is a Vias.

His load is a Sierra 142 MK with 65 grains of H1000 and Fed 215 gm primer. HIs 30" barrel spits them out at 3450 fps!

[ QUOTE ]
HIs 30" barrel spits them out at 3450 fps!

[/ QUOTE ]

If this wasn't coming from a guy who I know is a no BS kinda guy, I wouldn't believe it. That is incredible!!! What kind of bbl is it?

GG
Nice looking stick.
Where was the 1K comp?
Do you shoot at Price, Ut in there club?

CAM

3450 fps!!!!

**** that would be a hell of a whitetail gun. Does he have any prob with that thing heating up in 1k competions. not sure on the powder capacity of the round. Sounds like a winner to me

nice looking gun

steve

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HIs 30" barrel spits them out at 3450 fps!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this wasn't coming from a guy who I know is a no BS kinda guy, I wouldn't believe it. That is incredible!!! What kind of bbl is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never mind. I am an idiot. I thought it was a 6.5-284!!

GG,

Nice looking rig.

Is this a 6.5 WSM???

Did you actually run those loads over your chrono??

Just curious, my 6.5mm AM gets about that with the same bullet and barrel length.

If you say you chronoed it I will believe you, other then that I would say your friend is exaggerating a bit or running a hell of alot of pressure.

If this is a WSM then it has less capacity then a 264 Win Mag. Just curious if these are your numbers or his.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I agree, I have a friend that has a 264 Win with a 29" barrel and does not get close to those speeds as a matter of fact he gets 3140fps, must be a lot of pressure for sure

GG
No, I knew they have them just never went.
Sounds like a great time, did you WIN??
Do they still shoot the plates?
Is the match still every month?

Just so much to do all year, Boat-waterski-powell-flyfish-shoot-camp-youth trips-yardwork-homerepair-honeydo's-hunt elk-deer-blablabla Can't seem to get my prioritys straight and spend time doing all of them.

The thing that interfers the most is this work thing!!
Who ever came up with this work idea sucks I'm about ready to go back to hunter/gather. LOL

CAM

Yes it is a 6.5 WSM with no changes.

We were going to chrono it with my Oehler 35 the day of the match but we ran out of time. I figured it was a bit exagerrated though too until I was put in charge of running the Exbal program for his rifle on my IPAQ and his trajectory matched dead on for 3450. If it was going slower, we would have had to bring the scope up more but it was not needed.

As far as pressures go, they were leaving ejector marks quite regularly but not bad. We were shooting in 85 degree weather in the middle of the Utah sandstone desert and his load was tuned for Evanston Wyoming where there is still snow on the ground and 20 degree windchills!

It does have slightly less capacity than a 264 but it is a fatter powder column with sharper shoulder. Efficiency and individuality of barrel come in to play on this one I believe.

John,
your friend must be loading fairly mild or has not found the right powder because I can push 140 grain bergers at 3100 from my 30" barreled 6.5-.284 with 53 grains of RL22 and no pressure problems.

Yes, I won the 1k, the 850 (twice) and the 500 yard match along with hitting some 1" wide dynamite at 500 yards 4 out of 5 times! I hope that doesn't sound like I'm tooting my own horn. I was just having a dang lucky streak where I was on fire.

Yeah, they still shoot at Wally World cheap dinner plates at 1k and 850. The 500 yard match is on clay pigeons.
You get one shot each turn and there were so many people in line that your next turn would be 20 minutes later and the 20 mph wind would switch on you every time! It was really tuff. I always had at least 4 minutes of wind dialed in on the 1k shoot and it went up to 7 minutes a couple times.

The match is usually the third Saturday of every month except during the summer months. The next match will start in November so I was told. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

GG
Maybe they just don't want you coming back untill Nov!! LOL
Thanks for the info, and congrats on the wins.

CAM

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.