A new concept in Muzzle Brakes

Well about a year since the Muscle brake debued, and I have some new products along the same lines.

The original 3 port Muscle brake will be available in 3 configurations.

Slabbed
Round
Slabbed with top porting (on all baffles comming in from the sides)

The Mini Muscle Brake is a scalled down version that will come;
Slabbed
Round
This mini brake works great on smaller dia. barrels, looks better as it is not quite as big, and has proven very effective on cartriges at or below the 300 WSM level. although originally designed as a varmit brake it is working awsome on larger cartriges. The slabbed version of this brake is new to cut down on the size and weight for lite rifles.

The original 4 port Muscle brake will now be slabbed off at 1.25" tall but remain 1.5" wide,
This brake works great on the chey tac and snipe tac cartriges. I put one on a 17 lb. 338 lapua and it kicks like a sporter weight 223

New will be a 4 port that is scaled the same as the original 3 port, except slightly longer to acomidate the extra port. This brake will be slabbed and will be the goto brake for the 300-338 ultra mags and 338 lapuas.

I will be picking up a large batch at the cnc shop this week. Then off to the Varmit hunters Jamboree.

Jim sent this to me sometime ago and I just haven't got arount to posting.

A family of seven now! The one in the center and the one second from the right are the most recent additions to the muscle brake family. The four port is going on my 6.7 pound 458 Lott along with the new three port to see which one handles the task better.

Musclebrakehasevolved.jpg

Neal

Choosing the right size Muscle Brake

The mini Muscle Brake;
Was designed for cartridges of 30 caliber and less burning 55 grains of powder or less. The best performance is in the 22cal. thru 7mm standard cartridge, and any of the varmit class cartridges. The slabbed version is great for light deer/sheep rifles. (9/16x24tpi muzzle dia. of .620 and up)

The original 3 Port Muscle Brake;
This brake works on anything from the 243 up to the 338 Lapua. 45 to 95 grains of powder is covered pretty well by the one and only original Muscle Brake. (5/8x24 tpi Muzzle dia. of .685" and up to .985", round up to 1.225)
The top ported 3 port is the preferred model for specialty handguns.

The NEW 4 port Muscle Brake:
This brake came out of the need to bridge the gap between the Magnum 4 port and the original 3 port. I invision this brake as the go to unit for the RUM and Lapua based Magnums. It should gain a slight edge on the original 3 port. (Muzzle dia. of .685" and up to .985")

The Magnum 4 port Muscle Brake;
This mighty brake was designed for the Chey tac and Snipe tac sized offerings. Anything burning over 100 grains of powder will feel like a ***** cat with this brake. (short of the big 50)
Neal Coopers 500/460 Weatherby HANDGUN wears this Brake and he absolutely loves shooting 400+ grain bullets with no back blast and one hand comfort. (Muzzle dia. of .850 and up to 1.225") note; the thread tennon is 11/16x24tpi, recommended caliber maximum is the .408

The Muscle Brake WILL NOT disappoint, I guarantee it.

How much better do you think the new 4 port is over the 3 port. Would I notice a difference on a 338 Lapua/ 338 Edge. Just wondering, and they look great by the way. Thanks for your info.

Jeffro, I think the new 4 port will increase the effectiveness of recoil reduction. How much I can't really say. Many guys have used the 3 port on the lapua/rums and liked them but this 4 port should be a bit better. I have one shipping to a fellow for a Lapua build right now. I'll have to wait a bit for feedback.

As I recall the larger muscle brake was designed for the really heavy barreled guns.
ELE or the 460 X 510 has a 1.250 barrel. The barrel I sent to Jim is only .750 at the muzzle. With a 450 hole (458 Lott) through the center the larger brake may not be the best choice. Very light weight hunting weapons (7 pound Lott?), in very large calibers require maximum braking.

SO shortly I will be trying and seeing the difference between the 3 port and the 4 port.
My opinion; to see any difference in recoil one must go to a cartridge that holds 90 or more grains of powder with this 4 port brake.

ELE shoots a 450-750 grain bullet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkpt6vdIH0A&feature=channel large 4 port muscle brake.

Neal

I've got 4 of the 3 port muzzle brakes and very satisfied with them. I don't have a 338 lupua, but I do have a 5 1/2 pound tc encore rifle in a 35 whelen. This rifle was scary to shoot in fact if you were in tree stand, and had to make an out of position shot you would probably be taking a trip to the ER for some stitches! With the muzzle brake on this rifle, it is now very manageable. I would now take some out of position shots and not worry about getting hit in the nose, or eye.

The real reason I bought this muzzle brake is from the video. It shows it doesn't let the percussion hit you. I can tell a big difference in the percussion level hitting you with this muzzle brake.

Also Jim See gets to thumbs up. He gets you your muzzle brake fast.

My buying experience with Jim was terrific! A few months ago I purchased two three-port Muscle Brakes from Jim and had the two brakes installed on a .308 Win and a .338 Fed barrel for my Savage Striker specialty pistol, pictured immediately below.

Savagedual-porttargetactionSPin308338008.jpg

I took the gun out today for her 'baptismal' shooting session (with the .308 barrel installed) and the recoil reduction performance of the Muscle Brake was simply superlative!

Savagedual-porttargetactionSPin308Win28AUG10008.jpg

Savagedual-porttargetactionSPin308Win28AUG10009.jpg

I would recommend Jim's product in a heart-beat, without hesitation! :D

~Gary

Last edited:
Gary, hows the 338 federal doing velocity wise, I'm thinking about a light rifle in that cartrige. Have you shot the 160 barnes or the 180 accubond?

Gary, hows the 338 federal doing velocity wise, I'm thinking about a light rifle in that cartrige. Have you shot the 160 barnes or the 180 accubond?
Hello Jim!

Sorry to report, but I've been so very pleased with the SP's performance in .308 that I simply have not gotten around to swapping the barrels to shoot .338 Federal through her.

-Gary

Hello Jim!

Sorry to report, but I've been so very pleased with the SP's performance in .308 that I simply have not gotten around to swapping the barrels to shoot .338 Federal through her.

-Gary

Sounds like you need another action and stock.:rolleyes:

Great video Kevin Kram did of the Mini Muscle Brake on a 204 ruger savage striker

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz8aMUsqM8k&feature=related]‪Muscle Brake Test‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Are you still selling those things Jim LOL
I was just talking with some new shooters at the match I had on Sunday and I was telling them about your/my brake on the 338 WSM. I kind of saw some disbelief in their faces about how well it works. So I'll just have to bring it along next month so they can see in person :)

Take care,
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.