A-MAX or BERGER

LTLR makes a great point=To 600 yards it just dont make that much of a difference. Never been a big fan of a hollow point myself for killin, they tend to be too irratic at opening up.
Started useing 162 grain Amaxes in the 7 mag thinking it would make a better long range bullet and it does its just that inside of 600 yards the 160 Partition just plain gets her done!

Hi,

I'm currently shooting Berger .308 175g VLD's (Hunting) over Varget with super accuracy but dropping power is Ltd. I'm finding if a bone is not struck the beast simply runs.
On my last hunt I shot a red stag broad side and it ran 60 yds , I then turned and shot another stag uphilll in the neck which dropped to the spot.
I've been using this round for some years now but my hunting buddy reckons its time for a change to A-Max 178g. !

I had three berger 190s blow up on elk at 360yards first time I used em.. It happens, and while I have had great experiences with them as well, I agree with the heavier bullet selections and the truth that at 600 and less you could use about any bullet. I like the vlds so do not get me wrong but with any bullet, it can happen.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.