a compact shotgun for coyotes?

Fishhook805

over the years I've always packed my 1187 over one shoulder and various varmit rifle over the other recently I picked up a stealthy electric mountain bike which makes it very difficult if not impossible to carry the two shouldered, I've yet to find an attachable scabbard so now I am thinking a more compact preferable auto loading or pump shotgun with a folding stock that might slip into a backpack! my dilemma with a compact is the choke I need and want to hold a pattern with buckshot at 50 yards, most of the shorter barrels are not be able to achieve this. any thoughts on this?

Not an electric bike, but should give you ideas at this link. Scroll down and you'll see his photo.

I'm not sure if this is the same person but it could be. I saw a motorcycle recently that had a scabbard mount on it. Can't seem to locate the photo now. You could send him a PM and ask him more about it. The photo I'm thinking of shows a bike with a hard scabbard mounted on the right side.

Screen Shot 2023-10-07 at 8.26.42 AM.png

Kolpin makes hard scabbards for mounting on ATV's. The one that I used was okay it had synthetic shearling inside of it that padded the rifle or shotgun. You can mount it so that it is removable so that if your machine stays outdoors, it won't get wet inside as it's hard to dry them out once they get wet. There are several options for scabbards on Amazon to give you some ideas as to what you might want.

Barrel length has no impact on shot pattern as long as you are using the correct choke, I've been using a Remington 870 upland 3in with a factory 21 inch barrel for the last 35 plus years, I abandoned buck shot about 2 decades ago in favor of Nickle or copper plated BB shot, found it to be more affective when paired with one of the tight ckoked tubes meant for turkey, im not sure where to find one, but I know collapsible or folding stocks are available for the 870 with many barrel options as well.

Barrel length has no impact on shot pattern as long as you are using the correct choke, I've been using a Remington 870 upland 3in with a factory 21 inch barrel for the last 35 plus years, I abandoned buck shot about 2 decades ago in favor of Nickle or copper plated BB shot, found it to be more affective when paired with one of the tight ckoked tubes meant for turkey, im not sure where to find one, but I know collapsible or folding stocks are available for the 870 with many barrel options as well.
Good to know…I've got one of those cheap Turkish made pump guns with a 14 inch barrel 😁. So far it seems to be very reliable and built pretty solid…but I couldn't for the life of me figure out why it came with three different choke tubes and a barrel that short. Perhaps I'll try goose hunting with it…🤣

need to follow your lead Ive used my 1187 for years and out of necessity had to or did take a running down hill shot when my Griff out of character broke in chase of a dog coming up hill something he never did before, I took a shot at 100 yards with 00 and dropped him dead. I am really looking at 50 yards in, maybe I need to start looking at the 870 with a 21 inch ! wonder how it groups at 50? when two or three come in I want them all dead not just one.

Pistol or a single shot TC Encore, can be broken down to be real short.

Rock Island Ultra HC 10mm is 16 +1, you can buy it straight from Skips guns with his work done to it, smoothening up the action, complete trigger workover including the shoe of your choice so if you want longer, shorter, curved, straight etc.. it's there.
The one with the threaded barrel would allow you to put a comp on it, a 3 top port with "poppler holes" like they'd put on open race guns should also make it an amazingly flat shooter.

Thing is now built like an open race gun for about $1500, of course you could go through having it milled for a red dot and one put on as well.

TC Encore in 500 Nitro would be fun as well.

The close range gun doesn't need to be a shotgun, my setup is a 458 lott and a 500 S&W because i want practice with my stopper guns.

I run a Benelli M2 with a factory 18" barrel with choke tubes and peep sight loaded with #4 buck....run a 4 wheeler until the snow gets too deep then a snowmobile.....
No problem shooting a couple hundred coyotes, bobcats and fox....sure wish they would open a wolf season in Michigan....

Recent Posts