Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

A Case For Prs

By Sam Nelson I checked again for wind, the mirage was a boil, almost imperceptible. I could feel a coolness on my back where my shirt was damp...
By ADMIN · Mar 21, 2019 ·
Rating:
4.88889/5,
  1. ADMIN

ADMIN Administrator

ADMIN submitted a new Article:

A Case For Prs

Read more about this article here...

2. MT_Swagger

MT_Swagger Member

Great article. Cannot wait for my first match April 20th in Cody, WY

3. jasonco

jasonco Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Well done, there is no shortcut to long range shooting!

300whisper likes this.
  4. LanceK

LanceK Well-Known Member

Good article, I have found a local group that shoots NRL22 matches, I think it will help me a lot when hunting. With two kids and a demanding job, it is nice to be able to work on my hunting skills without having to take the time to reload.

5. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

Good article! I started participating in PRS competition a few years ago and have since become quite addicted. I t has completely changed the dynamic of my off season(hunting) activity, shifting from simple(and often monotonous banging of steel targets, to a never ending expansion of different shooting positions, techniques, and equipment that has surely added to my LR hunting capability. Next season I will try a new build that blends the two disciplines(below). Their is a major difference between PRS and LR hunting that requires a shift in thinking process, particularly if you are a PRS shooter looking to take up LRH. PRS is a percentage game. You can take first place in s match hitting 70-80% of the targets which may be a full sized IPSC at 1000 yards, much larger then the vitals of a mule deer at that range. Correction/test shots during a match are quite common and often required for adjustments in difficult wind conditions. Like IPSC and other “action” shooting games, “center shot” accuracy is many times traded off against speed, as most stages are timed. As we are well aware, LRH is a one shot process that should be taken with the confidence that you have a 100% chance of a hit in the animals vitals. Speed needs to be traded against time, and certainty of conditions, accepting the fact that a shot may not be taken at all. This s a frequent conversation with ORS shooters looking to getting into LRH. Overall, I think the benefits of shooting PRS will add immensely to shooting skills and excitement in the off season and recommended if you have s venue nearby.
    Just some thoughts.

My PRS rifle in 6.5x47L(980 yd steel stage during match), LRH Rifle in 6.6x284(for 10 years), my recent LRH Rifle in 6.6x284 that I will try out next hunting season. Ergonomics/balance of this build with the exception of overall weight(3.5# less) is identical to my PRS rifle.
    DB46A087-1801-4619-99C0-100DD49191E0.jpeg E2FABA59-E945-4A09-A150-13BF931527BC.jpeg C1186952-0996-47CA-BC04-7C3DC3E7BD5A.jpeg

6. SDMOL

SDMOL Active Member

How do you find out about events in your area? I'm in NJ and thinking about trying this.

7. LanceK

LanceK Well-Known Member

I found out through Facebook, had to do some searching.

8. Bimbo19

Bimbo19 Member

+1
    [​IMG]

9. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

There is a club in Catskill called
    Sheepdog Warrior that conducts PRS matches. It s very nice range run by great guys!
    https://sheepdogwarrior.com/

10. WTLORD264M

WTLORD264M Member

11. SDMOL

SDMOL Active Member

Thanks guys, I'll check it out

12. HobieH3

HobieH3 Well-Known Member

Hoping to get started in KY next year.
    Accumulating some gear...