9mm reloading question???

Alibiiv

This morning I was looking for 9mm bullets like who isn't. I went onto Midway USA because they sent an email about blemished bullets that they had, so......"maybe" there's some 9mms there. When I went on to the sight, there were 9mm bullets listed so I thought that I'd hit a gold mine!!! There was a drop down menu depicting what grain bullets were available, the choices were 90gr and 115gr that were available, I clicked onto 115gr. Then below that menu was "diameter" sizes. Now here's the question, they had a choice of .356 inch diameter, and .357 diameter???????????? .357 diameter bullets in a 9mm, this I have never heard of!!? Curious has anyone else heard of or shot .357 diameter bullets out of a 9mm barrel? For me the 9mm Luger already can be finicky, raising dangerous pressure issues with a change in OAL, let alone shooting a bullet that is .001 thousandth of an inch larger in diameter. I believe that I already know the answer to this question, I would not attempt to do it, but.............there's always room to learn. And today, 12/12/20 @ 12:00 P.M. Midway USA does have quite a selection of Hornady TSX .357 diameter bullets in various weights in stock if you are shooting .38 caliber.

I am no 9mm expert but I load 147grain lead Bear Creek Bullets in my 9mm's. The box says .356" diameter but they mic'd out closer to .357", these are lead bullets mind you. I would think if you start low and work up safely it won't matter. I only load solid lead in pistols anymore, heck of alot cheaper and work just as good.

Try here most all bullets are in stock. Great people to deal with.

Try here most all bullets are in stock. Great people to deal with.
Thank you for the lead. I have been ordering Rim Rock bullets for about a year now. I just got a shipment of their 122 gr 9mms. I am always looking for bullets during this drought on components. I have Glocks so a little cautious with cast bullets as shooting cast bullets in them is not recommended by the factory. I do however shoot Rim Rock hard cast 220 gr hard cast bullets in my 10mm without any issues. Again that you for the lead, this is what the forum is about.

Were the 9mm, 0.357", bullet a plated one. Seems like the plated bullets run the same diameter as the lead ones.

I've run .357" plated bullets in my 9mm before, 147gr.
I loaded them light to start with and they seemed to be just fine.
For lead, you are supposed to slug your barrel then run .001" over max bore diameter so i figured a soft lead core with copper plate might work in the same way.
I just use them for practice/plinking as i had extras i wasn't using.

Buy a Lee bullet sizing die and make anything in the .357" range what you want it to be. That includes cast, jacketed, and plated bullets. Plated bullets tend to shoot better at around .356" imo. When I competed in IPSC (175 pf) I shot 10's of thousands rounds/year and the best performance always came from .356" projectiles.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.