925 yard Mule Deer!! 1 shot DRT, video

It wasn't a very big guy, just a legal buck ha ha the shot hit the neck near the shoulder, it worked out as I planned. The wind I was seeing was 1-3 mph, left to right. 1 mph called for 1 MOA and 3 mph called for 2.1 MOA (this was in combination with spin drift and slight coriolis combined) and being as the deer was facing right I wanted to have him dial for the least amount of wind I thought there was, because if I was right it's a perfect hit, and there is no way it would get back to the gut. If there was more wind, it would push the bullet forward on the deer and hit the neck or be a clean miss, and I am ok with either, what I'm not ok with is a wounded deer.

Well turns out that during the shot there was a 3, which I saw the mirage start to pick up slightly right before the shot and almost had him add a little more wind, but I figured that I accounted enough for it that it would still work out. And it did, it hit the neck near the shoulder and severed the spine. The way I look at it, it's hard to be perfect at that range, but you can cheat a little to put the odds in your favor and have it still work, even if your off. I would much rather have my hit be forward on an animal than back, I personally feel there is less chance of wounding an animal if you weight your shots toward the front half rather than the rear. I want all or nothing, not all or a gut shot deer ha ha. Just my thought on ethical long range hunting.

Attachments

• 20161005_122629.jpg
    20161005_122629.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 114
I am impressed with the Berger 140 H VLD's. My wife sent one into the front shoulder of an antelope mostly facing her at 435 yards. It exited under the tail with a golf ball exit. Great penetration from a fragmenting bullet with an impact velocity of 2283 fps and impact energy of 1620 lbs.

Jeff

I would much rather have my hit be forward on an animal than back, I personally feel there is less chance of wounding an animal if you weight your shots toward the front half rather than the rear. I want all or nothing, not all or a gut shot deer ha ha. Just my thought on ethical long range hunting.
I like and appreciate your thought process

Awesome shot. Congrats. I am a newbie who is very interested in all this just don't have the time to get started. I get discouraged and tell myself just won't happen then I read success stories like this and from others and the fire gets lit once again. Again congrats on great shot and memories with the cousin. Hope to make some memories with my twin Daughters this year won't be long range but a moment that I would cherish for my entire life. Which I'm sure others on here will agree too as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.