925 yard Mule Deer!! 1 shot DRT, video

codyadams

Click link below for video

So this Wednesday my cousin and I decided to go out on a hunt the morning before our first graveyard shift on a set of 4, as it was going to be his last chance to get his Wyoming tag filled before end of season, since he is going to Idaho for their opener on our next days off. He wasn't picky, he just wanted anything legal so that he could fill the freezer, and focus more on getting a nice buck up in Idaho.

In this area it has to be 3 point or better. Well we spent about an hour driving around, saw 50ish does, 1 spike, one 3 point that was getting out of the country before we could get a line on him, and then this little guy. When I spotted him he was around 1000 yards, and it took some real focusing to see his 3rd point, then when I put my phone scope on and zoomed in, it was definitely a legal buck, though only by a crab claw, but that's all he needed to see ha ha.

We got the gear together and walked off the side of the two track to the first flat area we found and started setting up. We got the group of 3 deer spotted again, got the camera on them, got a range, and started evaluating wind. After a wind value was determined, I told my cousin the dope to put in the scope. The buck was bedded down, but the conditions were very calm, and I had the confidence in my rifle and my cousins shooting ability to let him send it. And send it he did...that deer was dead before his head hit the ground, he didn't even get up, just rolled over.

This was an amazingly fun hunt, and the excitement shows in the video. I hope you guys enjoy it, and good luck to all of you this season!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrTNWPOs83o

Remington 700 short action trued up
Krieger 4 groove 1in8 medium palma contour 30", chambered in .260 Ackley Improved
.25" PTG tapered recoil lug
Bell and Carlson Medalist II glass bedded stock
Timney trigger
Wyatts DBM bottom metal
Harris swivel 6-9" bipod
Triad Tactical stock pack (LOVE IT)
20 MOA weaver extended rail and Weaver rings
Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 scope (want to upgrade to a Burris XTR II or Veracity)
Extended bolt knob

Action truing, barrel installation and bolt knob instillation done by "The Gun Guy" in Evanston, Wyoming. His name is Tom Bryant, and he does a good job. Once I figured out my load, this is a CONSISTENT 1/3-1/2 MOA rifle, if conditions allow. I have fired multiple 5" or less 5 shot groups at 1000 yards, this rifle never fails to impress me.

RIGHT ON !!!
That is something to be proud of. I always thought a harvest like that was even more memorable when it was a team effort. You guys did an awesome job. Congratulations.

Tex

Thank you guys for all the replies!! Last year was the first year my cousin shot anything over about 300ish yards, and it was a deer at 418 with my rifle, and then this year he more than doubled that with this deer, again with my rifle. He has now decided he is getting a long range rig put together because he sees he has the shooting ability, now he just needs the equipment. I am so grateful I was able to have this experience with my cousin, and hope for a lifetime of seasons more with him. To me, that's what hunting is all about, sharing these experiences with friends and family, as well as putting some all natural protein on the table ha ha

Congrats on a great shot and nice video. But what impressed me most was the cool heads, time taken, and all the bases covered and rechecked. Awesome spotter shooter communication. Great work on the trigger end and spotter you were a real asset doing your job flawlessly too.

Jeff

Congrats on a great shot and nice video. But what impressed me most was the cool heads, time taken, and all the bases covered and rechecked. Awesome spotter shooter communication. Great work on the trigger end and spotter you were a real asset doing your job flawlessly too.

Jeff

Good spotter makes all the difference in the world. Nothing worse than a bad one too. lol

Big congrats!!
Load Info Plz?

Lapua .260 Brass, fireformed
CCI BR-2 primer
47.8 grains H-4831sc
Berger 140 grain VLD Hunting
Seated .005" off lands, COL of about 2.865" depending on the bullet
Trajectory validated 2930 fps

Last time I chronoed this load, E.S. in 10 shots was 12 fps, and they all went in a group under .75" @100 yards, and it's well below my max. I worked up to 49 grains of H-4831sc without any signs of pressure, and got up to 3025 fps, but my groups opened up to .75 MOA.

Nice work. Like Broz said it was nice to see and hear it all come together. Where are the deer pics?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.