90% of the performance, half the price?

I was looking on TOZ web page. It list the clearidge ultra xp5 2.5-12x42 with 90 moa total adjustment. The 4.5-22.5x50 only has 48 moa total adjustment. Is this accurate? Do you give up total adjustment for magnification? Does the clearidge have a zero stop or do you have to look to set to zero? How can you tell how many rotations are made on the target knobs? Is each one marked? Sorry for the many questions but need to know. :) Thanks

You do lose adjustment as the magnification goes up. You can see this is all scopes. The XP5 does not have a zero stop. The turrets do have lines under the turret to determine how many rotations you have made. Each one is marked.

So has anyone compared the Vortex Viper 6.5-20 ($500) to the X5 4.5-22.5 ($670) ?

I think we are forgetting a strong contender, that'd be the Weaver

Tactical 4-20x50, Mil Dot, Matte. Can be gotten for under $800.00.

800360_Superslam_Tactical.jpg

Serious Glass for Serious Situations

For those involved in the serious effort of protecting life and liberty—both here and abroad—Weaver® is proud to offer rugged riflescopes designed specifically for tactical applications. As part of the new Super Slam™ series, these tactical scopes are manufactured to the strictest tolerances in order to perform in the harshest environments.

I have never owned one but I do owen two much inferior Weaver scopes,

The Grand Slam 4.5-14 and the 5.5-20 in one inch tubes, both scopes

have great precision on their "mini-turrets", if you can call them that.

My youngest son, at the time I think he was 14 y/o, was having enough

adjustment to shoot a none-braked Remington 300 RUM LSS at 1385 Yards.

I'm happy with both scopes and based on their

absolutely great performance I would buy the more than twice more

expensive model. I also owen a NF but that's a different story...:D

Last edited:
I've got issue with Sighttrons customer service. The quality of their glass may be great for the money, but on an early Oct deer and elk hunt this year my partners SII kept fogging up on him. He missed several opportunities to fill his cow tag because of it. When we returned from camp he called Sighttron and was told "That's normal." and I say that's BS. He pulled the scope off and returned it to the *** for warranty. I've heard that their warranty is great, but for them to say that fog inside the scope is normal strikes me as them or at least the joker that answered the phone trying to avoid dealing with a faulty product. My $.02.

I have to give Sightron a thumbs up on customer service. Took off horseback looking for trophy mulies and I had forgotten my rifle scabbard. I borrowed a brand new one from my hunting partner and a quarter mile up the trail one of the leather straps broke, sending the gun to the ground, spooking the horse with an end result of a bent tube on my 4-16 SII. I called Sightron to see if it could be repaired and was simply told to send it to them. A week later, a brand new scope showed up at my door step.
That a a bit of influence on my latest purchase, an 8-32 Sightron SIII and I am chomping at the bit to use it, but I am having some bad luck with getting the right rings. The scope is very clear and I have high expectations for it and hopefully can make some long range kills in the next two weeks.

I understand that between $1000-2000 dollars, Nightforce probably rules the roost, and I really DO want a Nightforce, but right now, I have to find a way to be more cost effective.

I have a new 7mm WSM coming, (thanks to Joel Russo), and I need a scope that gives me 90% of what the Nightforces do, but I want it to cost no more than $1000, preferably not more than $750.

It must be at least a 5-20 power, and preferably 6-24. My eyes are getting old.

I know, I know, you get what you pay for, but there has to be a limit somewhere, and right now, that is mine!

As the price approaches $1000, I think I would just as soon say "forget it" I'll save a while longer and get the NF.

BUT....I have a long range shoot coming in April, and I want to have the Rifle and scope ready, and there is NO WAY I can come up with NF money by then.

So lend a hand, lend some experience and wisdom, and help me out!!!

Bill

Bill .

My vote would be for the Leupold because there top end scopes start @ $700.00 and go up.

I have used a lot of different scopes and find that the ones that range from $400.00 down
never seem to measure up or last very long.

I struggle with the same ailment as you and have trouble justifying a scope that cost more
than $1500.00 that does not offer that much more if any.

For the money I think the Leupold MK4 is best all round scope.

There are a lot of other good scopes out there in this range and it becomes a personal
choice of which one you decide on.

I have had other brands fail at the worst time and maybe it's just luck but have never had
the good quality Leupold's let me down.

So I just keep going back to them for my most important rifles and use the other brands on
some of my range guns.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Do love the weaver grandslam 4-14x scope for a mid range hunting scope. Have studied long and hard for the best under $800 long range scope and though I don't own a SIII it would be my first choice too if I had the money.

Another vote for the SIII. I really like mine. It has clear glass and it built solid. Positive, repeatable adjustments.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.