8mm 06 barrel length

270wsmnutt

I have a 8 mm 06 with a 23.5 in barrel currently, would cutting the barrel down to 22 in and installing a muzzle brake affect my velocity very much? I will shooting 200 grain Nosler accubond most likely for elk and 180 bal tip for deer/antelope.

I have a 8 mm 06 with a 23.5 in barrel currently, would cutting the barrel down to 22 in and installing a muzzle brake affect my velocity very much? I will shooting 200 grain Nosler accubond most likely for elk and 180 bal tip for deer/antelope.
Depending on the round count of the barrel you may get better accuracy with a short cutback (0.50" to 1.00") and new crown on the barrel and virtually not a loss in velocity. Smart move!
What is your diameter of the barrel at the muzzle? If you have enough meat go with the largest diameter thread for the brake.

60 rounds on the Douglas barrel and not sure of the muzzle diameter yet cuz I just bought it and haven't received it yet, but it weighs 7 lb 2. Oz with a factory stock on it so I'm assuming it's probably a number two barrel , plan on sending it to Twisted barrels when I get it to have it cut down, a brake put on it bolt, action and Barrel fluted then I'm going to put it in a titanium take off stock so my goal is about a 6 lb 4 oz for all around light weight elk gun when I get finished with it.

A simulated Quickload charge gives you a loss of ,as @tobnpr posted, 37ft/sec when using the 200 gr Nosler. going from a 23.5" barrel to a 22" barrel.

60 rounds on the Douglas barrel and not sure of the muzzle diameter yet cuz I just bought it and haven't received it yet, but it weighs 7 lb 2. Oz with a factory stock on it so I'm assuming it's probably a number two barrel , plan on sending it to Twisted barrels when I get it to have it cut down, a brake put on it bolt, action and Barrel fluted then I'm going to put it in a titanium take off stock so my goal is about a 6 lb 4 oz for all around light weight elk gun when I get finished with it.
Very good barrel (Douglas) and not really broke in yet. Looks like you are purchasing used and going to modify to your specks. Surprised that you didn't get the specks on the barrel diameter. Would love to see the before pictures of the rifle and then what you are designing with the new stock, action, fluted barrel, brake. That .323 in a 06 with either a 200 or 180 gr AB should be a Knock Down Round!
Please keep us updated with this build and especially when you get to harvest some Elk/Deer.
Thanks
Len & Jill