85 gr HPBT Sierra / 243 Win 1 in 10 twist / Coues Deer Load

Your groups looked exactly like mine with same bullet/powder combo. Higher the charge bigger the group.

I ended up taking a gamble on deeper seating .010 at a time with 38.5 grain load and at .050 off they all go in one hole all the sudden.

Don't be too locked on being so close to the lands just because the gun has shot most bullets best there.

I found best accuracy at the 2950fps average.

PS same could work and be true with the 42.5 charge was well, as 3200ish should be close to the next higher node.

Your groups looked exactly like mine with same bullet/powder combo. Higher the charge bigger the group.

I ended up taking a gamble on deeper seating .010 at a time with 38.5 grain load and at .050 off they all go in one hole all the sudden.

Don't be too locked on being so close to the lands just because the gun has shot most bullets best there.

I found best accuracy at the 2950fps average.

PS same could work and be true with the 42.5 charge was well, as 3200ish should be close to the next higher node.

That's kinda what I'm thinking. I'm going to take the 42.5 gr load, and load 4 each at .010", .020", .030", .040", and .050" off the lands to see if things get better. After I've checked the rifle over of course. If it gets better, ill fine tune the seating depth some more. Thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate it.

I've been thinking some more, and I'm almost thinking that I'm just going to throw these bullets in the trash and go back to Berger. Lol. I'm going to try and get my hands on some of the 95 gr Classic Hunters. Even my worst groups with the 87 gr VLDs, I could shoot MOA groups. I've been reading some positive things about the 95 gr Classic Hunters. Does anyone have any experience with the 95 gr Classic Hunters out of a 1 in 10 twist? According to Bergers Barrel Twist Calculator, they should stabilize well out of my rifle in the situations I would use them in. Thanks for all the help so far guys.

Well I've been talking to a few people, and doing some more research. I've decided to go a completely different route. It looks like I'm going to change bullets, and go with the 95 gr Nosler Partition. I'm also going to break down and get some new powders. Off to Sportsmans this weekend hopefully.

I have learned a lesson from this though. If you're not finding a lot of information with a particular bullet and powder combination, it's probably for a good reason. Haha. I loaded some more of the 85 gr HPBT's yesterday evening, and played with seating depths. I snuck off early this morning to the range before work. I didn't have as fancy of a target this time, but it didn't really matter. They shot like crap again. For good measure, I also brought some known good loads with me (the ones in my sig). The 55gr Noslers shot a 1/2" group on a hot barrel. So it's not the gun, and it's not the loose screw behind the trigger. My gun just doesn't like that combination. I'm sure with enough time I could find a decent load for it, but from what I saw, it was going to be a slow round (sub 2900 fps). Roninflag has pointed me in the direction of a "known to work" combination, and I'm going to try it. Thanks again for all the pointers and information. I'll be sure to update this once I get some powder and bullets.

Last edited:
And you will hit on some barrel and bullet combos the the barrel just won't shoot too. I have found several over the years that really liked "A" particular bullet at about any speed with any powder. Barrel will tell you that's for sure. Don't underestimate the Nosler 90 "Hunting" Ballistic tip in a 10 twist. Since they went back to old solid base design and tapered the jacket to a thicker base it is a deer killing machine. The "hunting" line is not your grandpas ballistic tip they are much different. The hunting ballistic tip is basically the exact same design as the discontinued old Solid Base line but with a polymer tip.

Go to Noslers Forum and see some of the bullet tests with the 95 and 90 grain Hunting NBT.

http://forum.nosler.com/viewforum.php?f=45

I can tell you from experience a 95 partition, 100 grain horn or sierra and 42 ( or so) I4350 at 2900 (or so) deadly on mule deer, coues and antelope. since re26 is temp stable and decoppering AND you can get 3211 from a 100 grainer I would try it . alliant will send you their phamplet free. and it is one line. I shot it out my 7mm mag I got small groups and 86 fps over their manual.

85 sierras- I have used i4350, i4320, varget and I4064. in more than 7 sakos and 8+ rem 700s. the rem 700's ( many differnet vintages) ridiculous consistent. 3/4 or less with I4064 and varget. the deer and antelope I harvested with 85's were with a sako and i4350 and I4064.

I can tell you from experience a 95 partition, 100 grain horn or sierra and 42 ( or so) I4350 at 2900 (or so) deadly on mule deer, coues and antelope. since re26 is temp stable and decoppering AND you can get 3211 from a 100 grainer I would try it . alliant will send you their phamplet free. and it is one line. I shot it out my 7mm mag I got small groups and 86 fps over their manual.

Hard to best this combo especially if you have a 24" barrel. I go to faster burn rates like H4350 for 22" or shorter barrels. Under 20" barrel Varget/Imr4064 show up to play.

You want to see spectacular muzzle blast RL26 will do it for you when bullet weight is under 90 grains in a 20" barrel.........

Well guys. Quick update. Last weekend I was able to make it out of town to look for some more reloading supplies, and kinda got skunked. I couldn't find what I was looking for, for the most part. I did end up buying some 95 gr Berger Classic Hunters though for my .243. I loaded up a few rounds at different weights with H4350 again, and went out to the range last night. The wind was blowing pretty good (10-15 mph), so it was not ideal shooting conditions. But regardless of the wind, I was able to shoot several very nice groups. Every group was 1" or less, with the best being around .69". All of these were loaded .015 off the lands. I'm very pleased with the this new load. When I get a calm day, I plan on going back out and getting some readings over my chronograph, and seeing what it can really do for a group (without the wind). Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I'll do my best to get some pics and more information posted as soon as I can.

Notes: My best group was with 42 gr of H4350, and the bullet seated to .015" off the lands. I plan on playing with the seating depth some, to see if that helps or hurts. I'm using Norma Brass, and WLR primers.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.