80gr a-max in a .220 swift

Bartlein243

ive got an old krico action in perfect condition, and i was thinking of putting a 26" 1:8 twist .220swift barrel on it.
i want to shoot hornady 75 or 80 grain A-max from it
does anyone have any experience on similar setups?

I just started work on a 220 Swift with a 25" Lilja barrel 1-8. So far I've tried an 80gr Berger VLD that has performed well if I seat to the lands. Have shot several 3-shot groups that measured just under 1/2" at 200 yards. When I seat them short enough to fit the magazine (short action Remington 700) the groups expand noticeably - 1.25" at 200 yards. I don't have velocity on those to report or anything beyond 200 yards.

I've also tested some 62 and 70gr Barnes TSX with so-so results, roughly MOA. Last weekend I tested some 50gr Barnes Varmint Grenades that shot just under MOA at 100 and 200 at 3946fps at the muzzle. Should be a fun coyote load, but I'm more interested in developing a load with heavier bullets for antelope. I've got all kinds of 22cal bullets >60gr, but limited selections of powders. So far all I've tried for the heavier stuff is RE19. It made a great combo with the 80gr Berger, just don't have the magazine length to accommodate them.

ive got an old krico action in perfect condition, and i was thinking of putting a 26" 1:8 twist .220swift barrel on it.
i want to shoot hornady 75 or 80 grain A-max from it
does anyone have any experience on similar setups?

Live a little - chamber that rifle in 22-243 so that you can get those heavy bullets moving! I did and just love the cartridge. 1,000yd groundhog kills are easier than you think with a fast twist 22-243. (or AI version)
Lapua brass is easy to find too.

Hello Bartlein243,
I have a Ruger 77V in .220 Swift , that I had re-barreled in 2012 by Douglas Barrels , in a SS 1:8 " twist Premium XX barrel , contoured to match the original Ruger varmint barrel contour , .785" at the muzzle , 26" length . I shoot 80gr. Hornady A-Max bullets out of Winchester brass , Federal 210M primers , and Hodgdon H4350 powder . Cartridge OAL is 2.936" , I shoot single shot . Average velocity for my load is 3310 FPS at an elevation of 650 feet above sea-level . It will consistently shoot .250 MOA out to 700 yards , the range that I have access to shoot near home . I have shot this rifle and cartridge in the Texas State Rifle Association 1000 yard matches in March , 2013 , and it held vertical dispersion of .5 MOA , however , I had trouble with the wind readings , resulting in horizontal spreading . Shooting from a 200 yard zero , in Houston ,Texas , elevation 30 ft. above sea-level , I had to add slightly less than 21 MOA to reach 1000 yards .
I have shot once at 1200 yards at steel gongs and had 6" groups on 2 occasions . This rifle and cartridge is capable of maintaining accuracy out to farther distances , I am certain .
At this time , I have fired more than 950 rounds through this barrel , and it is as accurate or possibly MORE accurate than when it was new .
My only problem now is finding 80 gr. A-Max bullets .
TRY IT AND YOU WILL LOVE IT.

Live a little - chamber that rifle in 22-243 so that you can get those heavy bullets moving! I did and just love the cartridge. 1,000yd groundhog kills are easier than you think with a fast twist 22-243. (or AI version)
Lapua brass is easy to find too.

I agree with going bigger. I went with a 22-284. Shooting the 80- grain Berger at 3550 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.