220 swift and blc2

dollman

just bought myself a 220 swift in a ruger no1 varmint:D ,i have some blc2 was thinking of using 50-55 grn bullets ,anybody got any pet load and would i have to use magnum primers,any help welcome atvb steve

Check Hodgdon website for loads, but blc2 is really too fast for the 220 Swift. You'd get better results with slower powders, like H380 or H414. Magnum primers are not needed, but you can try them, and adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
I'm running a 52 grain Sierra MK with IMR 4064 and CCI 250 primers. I am a touch off max and am just under 3850FPS. If I hit a coyote broadside under 100 yards i get two coyotes in return. If you follow me. Not exactly fur friendly. This is my load for dogs and have had great success with it out to just shy of 400 yards. You may consider the 52 MK. My rifle is one of the last that Ruger made in the MKII.

I use H414 on all my larger varmint cartridges (220 swift, 22-250 AI, 22-243, 243 AI) because it meters so well, and gives good accuracy and velocity.

From experience, and all I've read, standard primers are satisfactory for this powder in these size cases; but magnum primers are certainly reasonable, and often recommended for slower ball powders like H414.

When switching from standard to magnum primers, you need to check accuracy differences, which relate to velocity variations and uniformity, and you need a chronograph that...but all that fuss is part of the fun of safe handloading. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.