7WSM Powder

Greywolf18

Looking for a good powder choice for my 7WSM that's being built now. I figure by time it gets done I could find some powder! Was thinking RL17, but don't know how temp stable it is. I hunt in NC/VA and so the weather varies from 80-20 during hunting season. Also possibly going back to UT to hunt with family out there and don't have the ability to work up 2 diff loads (1-warm weather, 1-cold weather). I want one that will be good across the board. Thanks!

Oh yeah, I'll be shooting the 168 VLD's out of a 26" barrel.

H1000 has worked out great in my 7wsm for 162amax ,168vlds,and
175smks.I'm getting 3030fps with the 162amax with no pressure
signs. I have a 26" barrel also

I'll be using IMR-7828SSC under the 162 A-max out of a 28" barrel. While I havent tried it yet Q.L. shows it as TOP DAWG in the 7 WSM. I also have an aquantence shooting it in a .284 Sheshane with excellent results.

I am shooting 162gr Amax,using H1000,fed 215m primer,and getting 3030fps out of a 27"Benchmark barrel.I just chronoed it last week,and had a SD of 8.BTW,I am using 69.2 gr. of powder.

My powder of choice has been either H4831SC, H1000, RL-25. Depending upon the location and rifle they all shot great for me. Using the ISerra 175 and the Berger 180s.

JeffVN

Scout-

Let me know how that IMR-7828SSC works out.

Thanks for all the replies, guess I'm going to get a 1 lb of RL17 and H1000 to start with and go from there to start.

H4831, H1000 are great and not temp. sensitive. IMR4831 shooting great in mine with 180's Bergers.

Scout-

Let me know how that IMR-7828SSC works out.

Thanks for all the replies, guess I'm going to get a 1 lb of RL17 and H1000 to start with and go from there to start.

The top node I was able to reach in 80 degrees was 3225 fps with the 162 A-max. I am also using Hbn coated bullets in a Hbn treated Broughton 5C barrel. While the accuracy and ballistics were very good I will be backing it down to the 3150 vicinity to help save a little barrel life :)

ATT_1305939860582_IMG00091-20101019-1032.jpg

Last edited:
It's Glen Seekins bottom metal and allows for a COAL of 3.17 with minor mods to the action.

I can single feed with no problem what so ever and did so during load development.

Unfortunately no, I got tired of waiting on my PST so I put another scope on it that I already had. I then made up 10 rounds for the sole purpose of sighting in the scope. The rifle felt awesome while shooting, and with the first load I tried I was @ .7" which isn't bad for me. I was so excited and couldn't wait til the next weekend to start working up my loads to really fine tune it. Then that week my orders for Afghanistan came down and so I never got to shoot it again before coming out here for the next year! On a good note, my PST ships today lol So now when I get back I'll have my 7WSM and a 6x47 Lapua that I'm having built now to play with :D.........These next 9 months are going to go by waaaaaaaaayyyyy to slow lol

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.