7STW with 168 Bergers and 160 Fail Safes, WOW

7 STW,

Yes, It's a H-S Precision. It's a used Stock that came off of a .300 Ultra Mag Sendero. I bought it from a member on this site. It's the old style with no Palm swell, which is better for me any way. I have small hands and I hate Palm Swells. Makes it hard to reach the trigger.

I originally bought the US 869 to try in a 6.5-06 AI, But it proved too slow of a powder. Glad I have it. I have Retumbo, RL-22, and Some IMR7828 to try as well. I'm really hopeing that US869 will work. I may try RL-25 as well.

Dan

7 STW,

Yes, It's a H-S Precision. It's a used Stock that came off of a .300 Ultra Mag Sendero. I bought it from a member on this site. It's the old style with no Palm swell, which is better for me any way. I have small hands and I hate Palm Swells. Makes it hard to reach the trigger.

I originally bought the US 869 to try in a 6.5-06 AI, But it proved too slow of a powder. Glad I have it. I have Retumbo, RL-22, and Some IMR7828 to try as well. I'm really hopeing that US869 will work. I may try RL-25 as well.

Dan

Dan, IMHO, I believe if you are looking to shoot the 180's, I feel the Retumbo and RL25 may be your best of the best. You can fill the case and not get pressure. You have to keep in mind that the bearing surface on those long 180's will skyrocket pressures quickly, with NO gain in speed. I am sure you know this, don' t feel as though I am preaching. You obviously know what you are doing. Take care and good luck. 7STW.lightbulbgun)

7 STW,

I've thought a bit about case fill and the Data that Walt sent me confirms your suggestion. I was really impressed with the velocities that US869 was capabile of, so I decided that was the one to choose first. Interestingly enough H1000 has a better Fill ratio (96.7%) than RL-22 at (94.7%) @ max loads, so it looks like H1000 may be a better choice. Velocities are nearly Identical. Retumbo has the better Fill Ratio at 98.7%, so it would naturally be a better choice. US869 has a slower Burn Rate than all of these, but being a ball powder, the fill ratio will definately be lower.

There are powders that yield higher velocities like Ramshot Magnum and IMR 7828 SSC, but their Fill ratios are 92.1% and 89.0% respectively.

I'm just hopeing I guess. I'll probablly end up using Retumbo in the end.

I'm glad you suggest this, I like the fact that some one double checking me. Keeps me safe and inline... ;) You are by no means preaching, it's good for those who are silently reading these posts as well.

Later,

Dan

My stocker 7mm STW Sendero...shoots 160 Speer Grand Slams into -.5 for 5 @ 3300. BTW shot 3 different Elk 6x6 250yds, 4x3 300yds, Spike 200yds, and every one pencil holed with no expansion!! All died but took at least one more shot.....the spike took all four into a 5" group before finally tipping over.

That was as good a reason as any to get a new rifle right???? LOL

It also shoots 120 Ballitic Tips @ 3600 into one ragged hole in the low .3's. Love it for accuracy...hate it for on elk performance, and it does not shoot other "hunting" bullets even close to what I expect. This is my dog and coyote round. It goes against the norm....but it will wack them WAAAAAY out there.

My stocker 7mm STW Sendero...shoots 160 Speer Grand Slams into -.5 for 5 @ 3300. BTW shot 3 different Elk 6x6 250yds, 4x3 300yds, Spike 200yds, and every one pencil holed with no expansion!! All died but took at least one more shot.....the spike took all four into a 5" group before finally tipping over.

That was as good a reason as any to get a new rifle right???? LOL

It also shoots 120 Ballitic Tips @ 3600 into one ragged hole in the low .3's. Love it for accuracy...hate it for on elk performance, and it does not shoot other "hunting" bullets even close to what I expect. This is my dog and coyote round. It goes against the norm....but it will wack them WAAAAAY out there.

Umm, I am about to fall over here. The grand slams, I am told have a good rep for expansion. Whether or not THOSE bullets worked as planned or not, the STW is a fantastic rifle for elk. There are miriads of bullet selections in the 160 class that I KNOW will put them in a pile in a nano second. Just a few Top choices would be the 160 partition, 160 accu bond, 168 VLD, but to down play it to a dog gun is a shame. That's what they make 22-250's for. Find yourself some 160 fail safes, and crank them out with a max load of n170 , or Retumbo. Take that load to the elk woods, and be sure to have your pick up, cause you are going to give a elk a ride . Let me know how those ork for ya'. AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. lightbulbgun)gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.