7stw ?'s

darrindlh

Guys,
Is it possible to be able to stabilize the Berger 180vld in my ruger no1 7stw? It has the factory barrel. Or is it a lost cause.

Darrin

If my research is correct, the Ruger No1 has a twist rate of 1:9.5. That's a little slow for the Berger !80 VLD bullet, whether you're looking at the hunting or target version. It might be worth taking a box and playing with various depth settings/powder charges to see what kind of performance you get but I wouldn't expect a lot. But the 168 grains should work just fine.
In my experience, Berger bullets (my personal favorites) had a mind of their own. They either perform like magic or they don't peform at all. At least their not fickle. :)

Thank you for replying. Yup you are correct. My rifle has a 1:9.5 twist. I was thinking that with the stw speeds I could make up for the .5 lack of twist. I guess its time time to start playing with bullets. Lol

Darrin

I thought about the 7STW, and worried about total cartridge length. My magazine limits my current rifle .040" from the lands to fit in the magazine.

Speed has a very small effect on bullet stability. Sl tide & temperature affect it much more than speed. I see you're in Idaho so you're likely at a fairly high elevation, that'll help. You might be able to get away with it there.

The best thing to do is go to bergers website & plug your info into their twist calculator, that'll tell you.

Thank you all for replying. Graycrow, I went to the twist calculator at Berger and according to them my ruger no1 will stabilize the Berger 180 grn vld. That was awesome. I did not know that was there. Thank you.

Darrin

Well, congratulations on finding a reliable authority. I'm at sea level and rarely hunt above 3000 feet so I often neglect to run ballistics to include elevation considerations.
I can tell you that, according to my son who hunts regularly with the 7STW, the caliber can be finicky on the type of powder it likes. He's found best results with 7828 and H1000. Other powders don't work well at all in his rifle.

Fearnowind, I totally hear ya. I live in twin falls it is 3967 ft. Where i hunt is usually anywhere from 4000-10000ft in elevation, so I defiantly have to rely on ballistic calculators for sure. Well I am glad that 7828 is one of your sons powders. I have two pounds of it to use. So I guess we will see. Thanks for the reply

Darrin

I use 7828 SSC with 180 Hybrids as well for my STW. I also use Nosler brass and Federal 215M primers. But not sure how it will stabilize in your 9.5" twist. If you can get it to, it will become your favorite load.

Most people overlook the STW, but that is because most people haven't ever seen what they can do with a 180gr bullet. Working up a hot load with slow burning powder and heavy bullets in the STW is like cutting down a tree with a chainsaw, versus using an axe. It makes the extra boiler room in the case useable, and the caliber become a lot more efficient and really shines. It will make you wonder why you ever shot anything lighter than a 168 in the first place.

My load might be too hot for your rifle, so I suggest starting low and working up. I am still working up in mine, so the load is not finalized, but My current load puts 5 inside a .6" group at 100 (still not happy though...I'm OCD). Currently at 71gr of 7828 SSC pushing a 180 Hybrid @ 2,936 fps.

I have a ruger no1 . My uncle has some 180's loaded up pushing them around 3150. But the accuracy is not good. I was going to start with the starting load and work up. I want to get 3000 out if mine. Goin to change the seating depths as well. My ruger no1 is so freaking long that I can't even get close to the lands. Lol we will see. Thank you for your load data.

Darrin

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts