7stw

Caleb85

My long old timer shooting buddy busted out his 40x in 7stw today and we got to shooting it ..wow I must say what a cartridge !!!... Got me thinking..I have a sendero 1 in 300wm and would love to have my own stw..give me some inspiration,ideas,thoughts, wound the 300 make a nice 7stw? ..thanks.... How bout it mud?

My long old timer shooting buddy busted out his 40x in 7stw today and we got to shooting it ..wow I must say what a cartridge !!!... Got me thinking..I have a sendero 1 in 300wm and would love to have my own stw..give me some inspiration,ideas,thoughts, wound the 300 make a nice 7stw? ..thanks.... How bout it mud?

I think it would make a fine 7mm STW. A nice Bartlein 5R 1:9 in a Rem Varmint contour finished around 26-28" would be a force to be reconned with.

Well, I'm very easily slinging 180's at 3000 MV with very mild loads in a 26" barrel. That's always nice. :D Not to mention the coolness factor (that's worth 50 points by itself). Layne Simpson designed the cartridge. And if all that wasn't enough......Let's not forget people are accurately shooting it to 1 mile (1,760 yards) and possibly further with the 195 Matrix.

Not to mention your bullet selection from 120gr varmint loads (that will be absolutely ripping!), up to 180-195 class bullets for LR hammering.

And you can shoot game from 50-1500 yards.... What more could you really ask for as far as versatility?

But how dose it hold up to the win mag ? I mean I will build it but I was never a fan of tearing a Sendero apart !!
How does the STW hold up to the .300 WM? I think you mean, "Does the .300 WM even hold up to the STW?" :D

I think a better comparison would be the 7mm STW vs .300 Wby, honestly.

I think it's a better caliber, personally. But alot of people will always argue that. It will turn into another Rem vs Savage feces-fling...

Both are great calibers, both are close ballistically.

Here's what it comes down to... 7mm STW is the king of the 7mm's. BECAUSE it is the largest step in the 7mm calibers that you can go, without major diminishing returns. In other words, you won't be pumping 20 more grains of powder just to get 50 more fps... Such as the case of 7mm STW vs 7mm RUM. Plus, the STW has a significantly better better life than the RUM (known fact). Just things like that.

As for 7mm STW vs .300 WM..... They're close, but I still say the STW is better, simply because I am a bigger 7mm fan than I am a .30 caliber fan, although I do own quite a number of .30 caliber rifles, including the monster .300 Ackley.

Now if you said .300 WM vs .300 Ackley..........300 Ackley all day long. There's people loading up 80+ grains of 7828 in a .300 Ackley with 200-220gr bullets....That's MOVING. I haven't worked mine up that high yet. I've found a good node around 74gr, but I'm gonna see if I can find another one and see how fast I can get my 210 Bergers...

How does the STW hold up to the .300 WM? I think you mean, "Does the .300 WM even hold up to the STW?" :D

I think it's a better caliber, personally. But alot of people will always argue that. It will turn into another Rem vs Savage feces-fling...

Here's what it comes down to... 7mm STW is the king of the 7mm's. BECAUSE it is the largest step in the 7mm calibers that you can go, without major diminishing returns. In other words, you won't be pumping 20 more grains of powder just to get 50 more fps... Such as the case of 7mm STW vs 7mm RUM. Plus, the STW has a significantly better better life than the RUM (known fact). Just things like that.

As for 7mm STW vs .300 WM..... They're close, but I still say the STW is better, simply because I am a bigger 7mm fan than I am a .30 caliber fan, although I do own quite a number of .30 caliber rifles, including the monster .300 Ackley.

Now if you said .300 WM vs .300 Ackley..........300 Ackley all day long. There's people loading up 80+ grains of 7828 in a .300 Ackley with 200-220gr bullets....That's MOVING. I haven't worked mine up that high yet. I've found a good node around 74gr, but I'm gonna see if I can find another one and see how fast I can get my 210 Bergers...

funny thing is the way you feel about the 7STW being king is how I feel about the 7SAUM. I think the STW is more powder and space than it's worth (OMG I think that was the worst thing Ive ever said at least on this forum lol)

But yes I would agree the STW beats the WIN.

This is great stuff! I have just been noticing that STW brass is like buying swift brass!! I will have to look more towards the 8mm brass! ..that 40X was a dream to shoot !! 26" heavy bull. And probably the oldest night force I have ever seen..lol ..

... I have a sendero 1 in 300wm and would love to have my own stw..give me some inspiration,ideas,thoughts, would the 300 make a nice 7stw? ..thanks.... How bout it mud?

Just do it and never look back. There are few rifles, IMO, that compare with the STW in either competition or in the field. Perhaps the most versatile rifle you can own. gun)

The 300win and 7stw are both great calibers. The real question is, how much lead to you want to sling. A 7stw will be fine running bullets between 140 and 180 grains depending on your twist and what you are doing with the rifle. A 300win starts at 165-180 and goes to 230 grains. The 300win is also a bit slower with its payload. Muddy is right that the better comparison (speed wise) is the stw and the 30roy.

Today, I'd probably buy a 300win or 300 rum instead of the 7stw as you nearly have to form brass unless you want to use your house-payment for the month to buy brass. That said, I've got my brass and rifle and I'm shooting her out and re-barreling to 7stw.

Well on a completely different note at 1:35 AM I delivered my son in the back of an ambulance on the way to the hospital! ! His name is Silas, and I think he should have a nice STW built is his honor! !!! Thanks for all the great info and I will keep yall posted on the build!!

Well on a completely different note at 1:35 AM I delivered my son in the back of an ambulance on the way to the hospital! ! His name is Silas, and I think he should have a nice STW built is his honor! !!! Thanks for all the great info and I will keep yall posted on the build!!

Congrats Caleb... I wish my dad had had the same outlook on guns as you do. :D

Once again, I wish your son, and you and the missus well.

Congratulations on your new son!
I'm also a big fan of the 7mm STW. I have owned three of them and still own two of the three. The STW has proven to have superb accuracy potential in my experience. I have a Savage Tactical that was rechambered from 7mm Rem Mag and I have fired too many half inch or less groups at 100 yds to count with some of them way under half inch. I also have a Hart barreled Stiller Predator that turned in a 0.88" 300 yard group for me and routinely goes under half moa if I do my part. I've got a pile of 8mm Rem Mag brass plus a couple hundred STW brass so I figure I'm set.

Ok all!!! I took a rifle I don't use to my dealer today and said would trade $50 difference on a new Remington long range in my choice of caliber! ! So my biggest question is to build my STW do I need a ultra mag or just get it in say 7mm mag? Also correct me if I'm wrong but for $580 I figured it worth buying and rebarreling it. It's got a a B&C M40 stock I can run with it for a while and good bottom metal , trigger will have to go though.

Ok all!!! I took a rifle I don't use to my dealer today and said would trade $50 difference on a new Remington long range in my choice of caliber! ! So my biggest question is to build my STW do I need a ultra mag or just get it in say 7mm mag? Also correct me if I'm wrong but for $580 I figured it worth buying and rebarreling it. It's got a a B&C M40 stock I can run with it for a while and good bottom metal , trigger will have to go though.
buy the 7rem m700 and ream it to stw... do it the old way before stw's became factory rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.