7mm vs 300wm with a 24" Barrel

Elkwonder

I know that given the bullet weights that each caliber excels with these two calibers will be debated till the end of time. However it seems both guns tend to do better with 26" or longer barrels. My question is if you can only get a 24 inch barrel, does that handicap one a little less than the other? The gun I am looking at only has a 24 inch barrel, and I am really having a hard time deciding between these two calibers......

I know that given the bullet weights that each caliber excels with these two calibers will be debated till the end of time. However it seems both guns tend to do better with 26" or longer barrels. My question is if you can only get a 24 inch barrel, does that handicap one a little less than the other? The gun I am looking at only has a 24 inch barrel, and I am really having a hard time deciding between these two calibers......

You're not giving up a huge amount with a 24" vs a 26" for either. Would a 26" be 'better". Yes and no, it depends on how you define "better". 50fps might be "better" when you can get it. If it's a thin barrel 24" might be more accurate "better". It's all trade offs.

If you like the rifle, brand, model and the 7mm and 300WM only come 24" go for it. I did and do.

Of course I'd turn that 7mm into a 28-Nosler in a heart beat.

You're not giving up a huge amount with a 24" vs a 26" for either. Would a 26" be 'better". Yes and no, it depends on how you define "better". 50fps might be "better" when you can get it. If it's a thin barrel 24" might be more accurate "better". It's all trade offs.

If you like the rifle, brand, model and the 7mm and 300WM only come 24" go for it. I did and do.

Of course I'd turn that 7mm into a 28-Nosler in a heart beat. gun)

well......They chamber the 28 nosler as well......and it comes in a 26 barrel...lol

Ya got me stumped. Usually with this many clues I can figure out the brand and model. I thought you were talking Browning but none of their 300WM are 24". AFAIK

lol.......I got a good friend that can get me a good deal on Legendary arms works rifles.
The more I think about it though, the more I think the 7mm mag will do everything I need and more. Besides, I just read that the recoil of the 28 nosler is in the 300 rum territory.....NO THANKS if thats the case

well......They chamber the 28 nosler as well......and it comes in a 26 barrel...lol

I am a huge 7mmRM fan, and also have a .300WM. However, If this is the case, I would go with the .28 Nosler with the 26" barrel. Just my opinion.

You could always call the company and see if they'll build you a 7mmRM with a 26" barrel... That would be your best best to get what you really want.

I've used both calibers, with both 24 and 26" barrels. Not an issue in the game field, really. If you hunt more deer sized game, the 7mm Mag is the berries. If you hunt more elk and similarly tough game, get the 300 winmag. Now, having said that, that is "my opinion and experience". I can count on both hands guys I know who use the 7mm Mags for deer/elk out here in Utah! A lot depends on how well you can handle the recoil from the prone position. Sooner or later, if you shoot a long way off, you will end up in the prone, over a pack or rolled up jacket. A good scope with long eye relief, a good recoil pad, good shooting sling...what can you handle? If a 270 is a gee wiz killer for you in that position, get it over any magnum...unless you just like to "hit them hard". Myself, I like to hit elk as hard as I can, big hogs the same way. A 7mm mag with at least a 168 Berger (or similar) and even 180s will run with a 300 winmag, but will the factory twist be fast enough? Is a gamble. A 10" twist is standard on any 300 winmag factory, and a good 180 or 200 is just awesome on elk sized game! Good luck to you Pard.

lol...Besides, I just read that the recoil of the 28 nosler is in the 300 rum territory.....NO THANKS if thats the case

No it's not as much as the 300 RUM. It's more than a 7mmRM but not as much as a RUM.

The 7MM MAG has a twist rate of 9. Wouldn't that be fine for the 168 berger? Also wouldn't it possibly even due the 180 berger? I actually plan on doing a WHOLE LOT of prone shooting, so I think I may stick with the 7 MM MAG. I shoot too much to want to worry about developing a flinch.

On another side not, If I plan on shooting a bullet weight of around 168-180 will there be any difference in recoil between the 7mm and the 300 winnie? Also what is the difference in barrel life?
Another option is to just shoot 180 out of the 300 if recoil will be the same as the 7mm. Then if I draw a moose tag later I could load up some 200+ grainers.....

A 9" twist 7mm mag will do just fine with the 168s and some of the 180's...it just depends on the load the rifle likes. My last 7mm Rem Mag ( 9 1/4" twist 26" bbl) shot the Sierra 175SBT super well, but it did not like the Nosler 175 ABLR ( which is a beautiful bullet too!) No biggy, that 175 Sierra has been knocking them down for decades. A 7mm mag "might" feel like a 300ma/180, it still has "less powder' in it. "Ejecta" is the term. In the field, you won't be able to tell the difference on elk...the 7mmmags are easier to shoot, and plenty of power, even for moose! I've had sporter weight 7mmmags that recoiled easier than lightweight 30-06s! I do believe for prone ( assuming no brake used for either) you are miles ahead with the 7mmMag. My SIL uses a Tikka T3 Lite as his lightweight, knockabout elk rifle. It shoots the HSM ammo with 168 Bergers like match loads. His last elk was popped around 325yds, down he went. He popped him again as with elk "its best to keep shooting until all the wiggle is out of them"! Both rounds fully penetrated too, golf ball sized exits...perfect. ha. I had to go to a muzzle brake years back due to a neck and later an eye problem ( i.e. I only have one good eye left, gotta protect it, ha) So I can shoot some heavy hitters ( big mediums like the 35 Whelan AI, 338mag, 340, 338 RUM, now my 358 Norma) I don't "need" any of them for elk, but they will 'chill their do doo" pronto, ha. Good luck to you, and don't look back from that 7mm mag...just shoot the devil out of it, get really good, and take a camera with you for pictures!

The 7MM MAG has a twist rate of 9. Wouldn't that be fine for the 168 berger? Also wouldn't it possibly even due the 180 berger? I actually plan on doing a WHOLE LOT of prone shooting, so I think I may stick with the 7 MM MAG. I shoot too much to want to worry about developing a flinch.

On another side not, If I plan on shooting a bullet weight of around 168-180 will there be any difference in recoil between the 7mm and the 300 winnie? Also what is the difference in barrel life?
Another option is to just shoot 180 out of the 300 if recoil will be the same as the 7mm. Then if I draw a moose tag later I could load up some 200+ grainers.....
The 9" twist for the 7mm will work on Bergers all the way up to a 180 Hybrid.

The 7mm 180 has a better BC than a .30 caliber 180-185.

Barrel life will be very similar, as the 7mmRM and .300WM have a VERY similar bore diameter-to-capacity ratio.

You could always build a 7mmRM with a medium-contoured (#4 Bartlein) 26-28" 1:8 twist barrel, and shoot the new Berger 195 EOL's, and you can shoot anything from deer to moose with those. The 7mm 195's also have better BC's than any of the current .30 cal offerings. :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.