7mm Ultra and 200 gn Wildcats (Kirby)

257speed

Anyone have any loads using US869 and the 200gn Wildcats? Have not had good luck with the Retumbo and this bullet.

I've settled on 90.2 gr in my dad's Sendero. I have no idea what the velocity is, but I will after this weekend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif!!

[ QUOTE ]
I've settled on 90.2 gr in my dad's Sendero. I have no idea what the velocity is, but I will after this weekend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif!!

[/ QUOTE ]

will they stabilize in a 1:9.5"

A 1-9 is better but there are quite a few using them in the RUM factory rifles. At lower velocity levels I suspect there would be issues and in very cold temps as well that may be a possibility as well.

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please post. very curious.

[ QUOTE ]
Mine liked 85 grains of Retumbo. Crazy accurate. 3125fps

[/ QUOTE ]
what length barrel? 200 gr at 3100+ man oh man!

I had 87-92 gr loaded up in .5 gr increments. 89.5, 90, 90.5 and 91 all would have been touching if I hadn't moved the scope up after putting the first in one hole @ 100 yds. 90.5 and 91 were touching exactly where I expected them to be. 91.5 and 92 were scattered up and left of the others. I'll be trying them out to 900 + on Sunday so we'll see what happens!!

Well, it was too dang windy today to set up the chrono so I just decided to shoot it. It didn't do very well @ 100 yds. I don't know why but about 3/4 MOA was all she'd do.
At 250 yds I shot two groups. One was about 2" and the other about 1".

Due to the 25+ MPH winds, I did not set up any more targets, but I did place some grapefruits on a bank that was 665 yds away. I had Lerch spot me and the results were not good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif. It was scattering bullets along the bank and was requiring 13.5 MOA to get there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif. My guess is the bullets are on the fringe of stability and are beginning to yaw out of control. I'm sure the strong head wind did not help that any either. Probably multiplied the effects.

My 300 RUM and Lerch's 270 AM both recorded kills on a couple of grapefruits so I know the wind was managable.

On a side note, Lerch and I also managed to hit our 980 yd gong in these conditions. Lerch hit it twice in a row using a about 6.5 MOA hold w/the 270 AM and I hit it 5 times in a row w/my 300 RUM using about a 2.25 mil hold!! That wind was really gettin' after it!!

Any body have any data on the 180 Bergers????

i shot around 100 gr of 872 before i started to get a sticky bolt with the 180 bergers. velocity of 3250 using 98 gr. all things considered i think the bergers are just a better bullet than the wildcat with this cartridge.

Perhaps in a factory rifle I would agree but there is also the 175 gr ULD RBBT that would work much better in a factory twist.

Can't blame the bullet for a barrel that will not spin it properly.

With the right twist barrel, the 200 gr ULD RBBT is still head and shoulders above anything else in 7mm even in the RUM case, just need a bit faster twist is all. We are finding 1-8.5 to 1-8.7 is about perfect in the 7mm AM so 1-8 to 1-8.5 would be about perfect for the RUM or STW but the 1-9 will still work in most cases if it is a true 1-9 twist.

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
Can't blame the bullet for a barrel that will not spin it properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

10-4 on that. It was just kind of a shot in the dark w/these things in a factory rifle. I'd bet they'll work much better in my 280 AI w/an 8 twist /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.