7mm twist rate?

Timberbeast7

I'm going to have a 7mm WSM built for long range hunting and need advice on barrel twist rate. I plan on shooting 160 AB's, or 162 a-max but would like the option to go up to 180 bergers. Would a 1:9" twist work for both? (Berger recommends 1:9" for 180 gr. and 1:10" for 168 gr. whereas most of the barrel manufacturers recommend 1:9" for anything over 140 gr.) Any ideas? Thanks

I would build on a long action if you intend to shoot the 180s and have it function as a repeater. Mine shots the 180s into 1/2MOA with a 9 twist. Only problem is I have to load them very deep so they fit in the magazine. Everything is just a little jammed up and would IMO just work better on a LA. I dont even want to know how well this thing would shoot if I could reach the lands. I will not even try it because I know I will end up loading them long and shooting single shot.

i just got my 7mm wsm built.i am shooting the 168 bergers but have tried 180s. there is no question that you have to go with a long action. then you will need to get the hs bottom metal in 300 wm. this is a great combination.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.