7mm STW or 28 Nosler?

I did exactly what you describe with a custom barreled 7RM - rebarreled to STW. Twist wasn't enough to stabilize heavier bullets and accuracy was not great. My 28Ns are super accurate. I don't know why, but anything based on the .404 Jeffrey case (RUMs, Noslers, Edge, SAUMs, etc) just seem to be more accurate that cases based on the .375H&H.
This ^^^
I think .404 Jeffrey family cases provide a better "boiler room" shape.

@pacowboy says it all beautifully here. What I get for reading the thread then replying later because I basically re-stated what he did. BUT... i will say that i can remember reading abput the 7-300 WM and 7-300 WBY years ago (late 80s early 90s) and how good of wildcats they were for accuracy and long range performance.
@Playtimefun You are correct in the time frame. My 7-300 was built by my dad and uncle back around 1979-80. My great uncle was a 1k competition shooter at Williamsport, Pa at the time and encouraged him to build a long range gun in that caliber. I also have a 6.5-300 Weatherby (Weatherby, Wright, Hoyer for those wanting to be technical), that my great uncle had built back in the late 60's early 70's.

Thanks for chiming in guys, I am enjoying it all. I got almost 3150 with the 175 Hammer from my std 338/06. I am having it reamed out to the Ackley, but its in a Mark V Ultra Lwt, making it more of a Mountain Rifle. Same with my backup, a Kimber 300WSM. Both great where and how I hunt elk. However, I learned years ago that if I hunt out on the prairies/sage flats, that Wind blows me and my rifle around terribly. My 7x57 is a rebarreled Md 70 Fwt and at 8 pds its pretty steady, but "still" a bit light in the Britches for elk, for my tastes. So even though I limit myself to 400, all the shots I've made that far were with 9 pd rifles, much easier to hold still. Shooting off cross sticks or field positions. That's where I see me using a Big 7. Last outfitter I hunted with used the 6.5/300Wby and he loved it! Now that seems like a barrel burner for sure to me, ha.

That old 7mm RUM I had reached 3400 very easy with IMR 7828. I could have pushed it faster but was scary accurate. Just 85gr every trigger pull, ha. I honestly do not even remotely have a place or style of hunting/shooting where I could use another, but I like to see what others are doing with them.

Sold my 7mm STW recently. Amazing cartridge but brass availability isn't getting any better.

I would go 7mm PRC. Hornady is the best at cartridge marketing, so the PRCs are here to stay.

Sold my 7mm STW recently. Amazing cartridge but brass availability isn't getting any better.

I would go 7mm PRC. Hornady is the best at cartridge marketing, so the PRCs are here to stay.
The 7prc is nowhere even near getting into this conversation. I know horn-tards are pretty ignorant but 7prc on the STW and 28 snoz level....that's a new level of PRC brain hahaha

With todays powders, bullets (Hammers) just to have a flat shooter/hard hitter with 160s ( and you wanted "more" than 26" 7RM) on hand, would you a. Rechamber to the 7 STW or just buy a 28 Nosler? Bear in mind, you have to first buy the 26" 7RM (plus rechamber/dies, etc) and an equivalent quality 28 Nosler (plus dies/etc) triggers/scopes on hand. which would be more Practical?
This is exactly what I did. I bought a 2018 REM 700 Sendero II, pulled it all apart, trued it up, threw the trigger in a draw, replaced it with a Jewell and re-chambered the factory 7RM barrel to 7STW.
Bought 100 pieces of new Remington brass and another 100 of 8RM brass which I necked down. I already had a set of cheap RCBS dies. Now have a Redding Deluxe set and a Redding Comp seater.
I also turned the action up for a 1/4" recoil lug and made it into a switch barrel, it has the STW barrel, a custom chambered 264WM 8" twist 29.5" barrel and a custom 300WM A191 chambered barrel set up for 230g OTM with a 29" 9" twist.
The reason I didn't go 28 Nosler was because the ONLY brass you can get is Nosler, had too many dramas with their brass in other cartridges, especially the 300WM cases made by Federal with their headstamp…overpriced junk!

Cheers.

With todays powders, bullets (Hammers) just to have a flat shooter/hard hitter with 160s ( and you wanted "more" than 26" 7RM) on hand, would you a. Rechamber to the 7 STW or just buy a 28 Nosler? Bear in mind, you have to first buy the 26" 7RM (plus rechamber/dies, etc) and an equivalent quality 28 Nosler (plus dies/etc) triggers/scopes on hand. which would be more Practical?
Stay away from both, they both come with their own issues!!!

why not sell the 7rm and buy one already chambered in stw or nosler. Plenty of guns out there that would shoot 160's and less with the factory twists?

I have two stw's, love them had one barreled because i'm a lefty it was a 300wby mark v accumark, she wears a 30" 3 contour barrel with 1.8 twist and shoots 195 EOL bergers lights out. that was the goal, i have another ruger 1 stainless model shoots factory ammo - she's my under 200 yard get'r done gun! LOL

If you plan on shooting for a lifetime, ammo and brass availability will frustrate you - if you can stock up when available financially you wont be disappointed in the performance. Just my 2cents - i'm sure nosler is just about the same performance wise.