7mm STW or 28 Nosler?

How about the 375ruger necked down to 7mm, otherwise known as the 7LRM? I'm pushing the 180VLD Hunting at 3145fps with 72.8gr of H1000, Fed215m, 28" barrel. Brass is readily available from Gunwerks. Extremely accurate 😎

There are many other choices wit available brass for a new 7mm. If you want "MORE" then you should also consider the 7PRC and the 7RUM. If you are just trying to avoid the 7RM then perhaps you would consider the 7WSM, 7SAUM or even the 280AI. There are lots of 7mm options, but maybe you just looking for "NEW and SHINY". The ballistics are all close and if you're looking for available brass then you can't find more available brass than 7mm RM. If "NEW and SHINY" is what you want, then I would go with 6.8 Western. It is not a 7mm, it is a 270, but appears to be the most efficient new cartridge out there.

That's a great observation pard. If I do decide to go back to another Big 7, I really do believe I would go with another Bergara B14 Hunter, but in 28 Nosler. I like the rifle and that's as heavy as I want to use. I have had just several of them and all have been good shooters. Well, from me doing the shooting and my handloads! I limit myself to 400 yds, and i like the almost stretched string trajectory. I'm not a dial twister. However, I do have a 2.5x8 with the new CDS on my 338/06 AI. I am definitely going to try it out. Thanks again guys! 28 Nosler if I go back to one! :)

Last edited:
I can't really say anything about the 28 Nosler. I don't have any experience with one but the 7mm STW I've had one for a while now and absolutely love it. And for now I have a pretty good stash of brass for it. It's a great shooting rifle. Trying to find out what grain bullet I really want to shoot and stick with it. Right now I'm using 150gr. Nosler. The rifle loves them and it's big enough to kill anything I'm hunting for. But now I'm having a hard time finding them. So I might be looking for something else. Seen Josh 127 comments on the Burgers don't won't to go through all that. But I still want to give them a try along with maybe some Hammers.

You could always go with a 7mm-300 Weatherby and then you could say you are shooting a caliber that held the world record at 1000 yards at one time. Was around long before Lane Simpson stole the idea for the STW and is almost identical in ballistics. Any 300 Weatherby brass will work for it as well by simply necking down or Quality Cartridge makes 7mm-300 WBY brass. I'm shooting 180 Bregers around 2900fps out of a 28" Douglas barrel.

Really... it's what do you want to reload for question??? How custom do you want to go?

I have a 7 WSM on a Rem Titanium action that was supposed to be a lightweight gun but turned out fairly heavy. BUT... my other 7 WSM is a Browning Mtn Ti but it's for the purpose of ultralightweight carrying. So going short action is more for that in my opinion.

7 prc... sorry... having a tough time buying into the argument that it's better then a 7 RM or even 7 WSM. But I don't own one yet. Thinking 300 PRC first.

On the bigger 7 mm side, I rechambered a Sako Finnlight from 7 RM to 28 Nosler and eventhough it's a 23.5 barrel, I am ecstatic with its performance. The cartridge feeds beautifully from the magazone with no modifications. Accurate as heck and factory ammo is available even up here in Saskatchewan. Right now I just have so 150 Barnes TTSX loaded up for it. But u have a bunch of 168 trainers to try out.

I think I have a bit of an aversion to the 7 STW only because it was the gun writer Layne Simpson (I think it was him) who promoted it so much it was ridiculous only because he was so involved in it becoming a factory cartridge. And 1 guy I knew (friend of a friend) had one that he swore up and down that it killed deer on the moon because he could just hold dead on because it was so flat. Yet... according to my friend... his deer tags seemed to get hung more often then not on the Christmas tree (so hmmmmm????)

But honestly... nothing wrong with it. I have been tempted to rechamber a ruger no 1 in 7 RM to it. But... if you want the availability of cheap brass (relatively cheap anyways)... performance out of a 26" barrel, you want all the velocity you can get, and your reloading anyways... consider the 7-300 Weatherby. It's been a deadly long range wildcat for YEARS. 28 Nosler is awesome but brass... is pricey. At least you can make 7 STW brass easily enough.

Which one is equivalent or even a tad "better" (for 160s) than the 7mm Mashburn Supermag? I have handload for simple necking down rounds .i.e 6.5/284, 6mm & 6.5/30-30 and 6mm/284 and afew necking ups, i.e. 6mm/222 Mag; 22/6mm Rem. But never fooled with bushings, two or three steps, neck turning/reaming/annealing, just haven't desired it is all. One reason I never went 7mm/300WM. I love them all, just no time and money, ha. I always wanted a 7mm Mashburn SM even when I got blistering speeds with the 140's and the big 7s.
Rev--I've been in the 7 Mashburn Super business for 3 decades. Very easy to make cases, and a wonderful round to work with. I've been thru a multitude of barrels.

Also worked with the STW, never got close to what Simpson talked about for speeds.........well I could get their with pressure galore....I long ago figured out that I can a round exactly what I want it to do if I lean on it hard enough:)

You could always go with a 7mm-300 Weatherby and then you could say you are shooting a caliber that held the world record at 1000 yards at one time. Was around long before Lane Simpson stole the idea for the STW and is almost identical in ballistics. Any 300 Weatherby brass will work for it as well by simply necking down or Quality Cartridge makes 7mm-300 WBY brass. I'm shooting 180 Bregers around 2900fps out of a 28" Douglas barrel.
@pacowboy says it all beautifully here. What I get for reading the thread then replying later because I basically re-stated what he did. BUT... i will say that i can remember reading abput the 7-300 WM and 7-300 WBY years ago (late 80s early 90s) and how good of wildcats they were for accuracy and long range performance.

Recent Posts