7mm stw brass

If you don't have a problem paying for 8mmRM brass, then I would go that route since it is the simplest of the 2. Both are simple, but I can understand where it appears to be a daunting or difficult task.

If you can get your hands on a single 8mm RemMag FL sizing die, then you could make 1 pass through the 8mmRM die, then a 2nd pass through the 7mm STW FL sizing die. Then you'd be ready to shoot your forming loads.

This would be your cheapest route...

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0004416001/8mm_Remington_Mag_Full_Length_2_Die_Set_

I would recommend loading about 40-50gr (50-65% load) of Reloader 22 with a light (and inexpensive) bullet, like a 168gr Hornady Interlock, which is what I use for fireforming.

My local store sells .257 117 Interlocks for about $26 per 100. So I buy those for fire-forming my .25-06 AI. I also use them in 7mm for forming wildcat caliber, and in .30 caliber for forming for my .30-06 AI and .300 Ackley.

The 8mm RemMag brass is only $5.00 less per box of 25, than the headstamped 7mm STW brass...

And they're both in stock @ Midway.

Nosler Custom Reloading Brass 8mm Remington Mag Box of 25

Nosler Custom Reloading Brass 7mm STW Box of 25

Muddy, he's looking to get to $1 a case or less unless I'm mistaken. I'd also just go to start loads, not quite to 60% or less. 80%-90% of full throttle will do you well. You can try lighter, but often it won't blow out the shoulder enough. Use a mag primer for this btw., as you still need good ignition even with milder pressures.

I am just starting into the brotherhood (had 2 way back but I mean way back) so I feel like I am a newby. Anyway, I too am gathering parts and pieces for my STW, and like others brass in nowhere to be found. In reading this, I know in some case forming you can use cream of wheat to blow cases out with, could you do that with the STW and save some barrel life?

I am just starting into the brotherhood (had 2 way back but I mean way back) so I feel like I am a newby. Anyway, I too am gathering parts and pieces for my STW, and like others brass in nowhere to be found. In reading this, I know in some case forming you can use cream of wheat to blow cases out with, could you do that with the STW and save some barrel life?

You could, but I would still imagine it being abrasive to the bore and throat. Personally, I don't like spitting breakfast food items out of my bores. Just my preference. :D

For those interested, I did a full write up on this thread on how to do this (cream of wheat method) a year or so back using 300 HH Norma brass. It is still running in my gun now and doing great.

I'll bump it back up for those interested. Didn't get much play originally and fell below the other 200 threads like "7 Mag vs 7 STW"

Can someone explain why I can get 7 stw stamped nosler brass at 68 bucks per 25, or nosler long range loaded ammo with a 160 gr accubond for 51 dollars per 20? Is the stand alone brass a much higher quality? It's the same head stamp, but I haven't reloaded any yet so I don't know if the brass in the loaded ammo is crap or not, but as far as I can tell it looks to be exactly the same. Also how much better is the nosler than rem brass? I just got a bunch of new brass at a local gun store so I'm curious what I should expect.

It's the same brass, treated and sorted on the same machines.
Their seconds are sold separately thru the Shooter Pro Shop.

So any idea why the price per round from the same company is less as loaded ammo than it is for single component brass if the brass is equal?

nope. I'll ask today if I see a friend of mine who works there.
You need to tell him that they need to lower their prices on empty brass. They'd sell alot more of it, if they did.

Simple business economics...You can make alot more profit selling greater volumes of brass at less profit per box, than you can selling less brass, at a higher profit per box.

So any idea why the price per round from the same company is less as loaded ammo than it is for single component brass if the brass is equal?

Simple...supply & demand. Dumbasses out there will pay for it.

But you are correct, I noticed it around September. You can buy the loaded ammo and pull the bullets/dump the powder for less than you can buy the brass outright.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.