7mm SAUM load data

nick197777

I'm looking for some load data. I bought a sierra load book, and to my surprise there isn't any on the 7mm saum. (I know I should have looked at the load choices on the back of the book)

I'm not sure if I am being too picky or too cheap? Just trying to use what I have available.

I'm using a 162 grain match hornaday CCI200 primer, and RE19 powder. I was thinking to start at 55gr for my powder charge, what do you all think? Or should I change to a different powder where data is more available for this combo. I'm more interested in the lower pressure powders (trying to preserve my barrel)I guess I like accuracy, over velocity.
Thanks for any help.

I would start at 55.. Alliants site notes that 60 is max..
I would also entertain RL22.
As far as Primers go, anything over 60 or a ball powder I use a magnum cap.... some may disagree with me, but I find I get more consistent velocity and lower ES and better accuracy when I do this.

I would agree with what Jokostel said. I have had quite a bit of experience loading a 7mm SAUM. Here are some of my experiences.

I used RL-19 with 140 grains Accubonds, however I think it will work with the 162 Hornady bullets. As has been stated the Alliant Web site lists 60 grains as Max with a 160 Speer bullet, so you should be able to start at 55 grains and work up.

With my gun I have used IMR-7828 with 160 Barnes TSX's and 168 grain Sierra Match bullets.

I have all ways used WLRM primers when loading the 7mm SAUM. I am sure that you could get by with standard rifle primers with some powders such as RL-19, and it may give you better accuracy. In fact the Alliant web site shows that they used CCI200 in developing loads .

Thank you for your input. I'm a little skeptic in guessing on a starting charge. (an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.) Out of curiosity, when you see a shiny stripe going from the primer hole to the outer edge of the base of a case what does it mean? It seems to match the slot the ejector finger comes through on the bolt face. I get this no matter what load data I use, is it the brass lot I'm using? Is it a sign of higher than normal pressure?
Thanks again

Rule of thumb is start 10% back from what the book shows as max.
This should allow safety with powder,primer,case,bullet lot differences.
Brass flow/stripes/hard lift are ALL signs of a hot charge or length issue with proper charge causing a spike in pressure.
There "should" be NO visable issues with the case and the bolt should lift with a single finger... Not any major effort.

I have some data from Berger if you would like, let me know.

168 Grain Bullet: RE 22-- 56.5grns 2767fps Max-59.3grns 2902fps 99.0% PSI 55438

Info for RL-22, they did not list info for RL-19

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.