7mm RUM vs other mags

I didn't make my comments towards you Nate. Just thinking outloud regarding practice and saving a barrel. Your practice IS the shooting. If you don't have it down by now with the sheer numbers of animals you cull no amount of practice is going to help.

ok, someone correct me if I'm doing it wrong, with my LR rigs I shoot 3 rounds a week sept thru nov to get ready for deer season, my loadwork is done so its me that needs tweaking, now in order to judge wind it does take practice correct?
Now if I can correctly judge wind to 600 yards with an accurate 223 and a 55 gr bullet with a BC of .246, then is it more or less diffacult with a 7mm bullet with a BC of .62?
This is how I do it and I manage to kill a few head of game, several beyond 1K with a 7mm.
RR

I wouldn't feel comfortable culling game at 600-700 yards with a .223 in 14mph wind. Sorry, I should have been more clear, the practice I was talking about is done via the culling lesser game species. I have also stated, much earlier in the thread, that clients like to use my LR rigs as an introduction to new hunting techiques- getting away from the factroy type packages. I enjoy letting the clients use the 7mmRUM rifle but as Kirby stated, I have to face facts that it won't last more than a season as it is not designed for this. One of the aspects of teaching clients about LR hunting is that with first hand experience, clients immediately realise that a well tuned LR rig is often a more ethical killing tool than the factory rifles they have brought along. The guys learn a lot very quickly and have a lot of fun in the process.

Ridgerunner:

Yes some big chamberings have less drift but either you can dope the wind with any reasonably high BC bullet and a rifle or you cannot. No one is saying shoot a low BC bullet at 500 plus yards but you can sure get some good practice in with smaller cases. I use a 284 and 7 rem mag in sporter packages for field work and some target practice. A 6 BR with a 105-115 VLD would be another great one. I fail to see how using a slightly "lesser" chambering doesn't help with the practice and save the LR rig that has a short barrel life.

ok, someone correct me if I'm doing it wrong, with my LR rigs I shoot 3 rounds a week sept thru nov to get ready for deer season, my loadwork is done so its me that needs tweaking, now in order to judge wind it does take practice correct?
Now if I can correctly judge wind to 600 yards with an accurate 223 and a 55 gr bullet with a BC of .246, then is it more or less diffacult with a 7mm bullet with a BC of .62?
This is how I do it and I manage to kill a few head of game, several beyond 1K with a 7mm.
RR

Correct, if you can judge wind with a lesser caliber/bullet combo then it will be easier to make that same shot with your long range rig.

Steve

Correct, if you can judge wind with a lesser caliber/bullet combo then it will be easier to make that same shot with your long range rig.

Steve

I have very little experience shooting in wind. I must be lucky to hunt in low wind environments.

Seems like people are posting on how to extend barrel life by substituting a non-barrel burner for practice shots and switching over to the high intensity rounds for the actual hunting. I may be missing something due to lack of experience with the wind, but wouldn't you still need to practice with the hunting rig in the wind to get good with wind doping? BCs and wind drift would be quite a bit different - no?

I have very little experience shooting in wind. I must be lucky to hunt in low wind environments.

Seems like people are posting on how to extend barrel life by substituting a non-barrel burner for practice shots and switching over to the high intensity rounds for the actual hunting. I may be missing something due to lack of experience with the wind, but wouldn't you still need to practice with the hunting rig in the wind to get good with wind doping? BCs and wind drift would be quite a bit different - no?

The lower bc bullet mean that you have to be more accurate with your dope in order to hit the target. The lower bc bullet is more effected by the wind and drop than the high bc bullet. So when you go to the higher bc bullet and use your same ability to judge wind and distance that you developed with inferior equipment, you will be even closer to the center. In other words, the poorer bc bullet needs more exact dope to hit the target. Like learning to judge yardage using a slow bow. I forces you to be with in a yard or two, in your guess, or suffer a miss.

Steve

4. There are barrels that are known to offer longer barrel life out there. I use Lilja 1-9, 4 groove barrels for nearly all of my 7mm AM rifles because they will take the punishment and last long enough to cover most hunters careers inspite of what some would have you believe. You can get fancy rifling designs but none have proven better then the standard Lilja 4 groove barrels and I have burned up every 5R barrel made as well as many others.

\

Well sir, I respect your opinion and knowledge. What would you think of a 26 inch Hart, stainless fluted barrel in 1-9 twist for this cartridge?

Thanks much,
Doug in Alaska

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.