7mm RSAUM Build

TheDerkster

I have a 28 inch (finished length) 7mm 5R barrel in 1:8 twist on order from krieger.

Right now, Im looking at how much precision is too much precision when getting everything I need to chamber the barrel and for handloading, and if buying custom dies is worth going with a SAUM improved rather than a regular SAUM.
Also, I have time to go ahead and get a longer barrel if it is needed. I know these high capacity cases can often use a little longer barrel to get the max velocity.

As far as how much precision is too much, Im looking at the different dies. I could get a warner tool set, but they are $375 or so and then another 100 everytime I want to change cartridges. Im looking to take this out to its max range which the bullet doesnt even go subsonic till 1700 yards or so depending on load according to JBM. So im guessing I might take coyotes out to 1500+/- 200 yards if I can. Id like to be within a 1000 for deer. Paper punching I might just push the limit until I cant hit a target anymore.

But I cant see that WTC dies can be so much better as to make a difference over RBCS comp dies or some other manufacturer. Im not sure on matching the chamber to the dies, but ill do some research on how I would go about getting RCBS or whoever makes the die to get me the specs so I can have a reamer made for the chamber slightly larger then die spec.

Ill probably go ahead and forget meplats and tipping as I will try to get ahold of some 195 berger eol and 180 vld and Ive found through mulitiple people that doing those processes has a negligible effect due to berger QC.

Im using the same action and setup I use on my 308 savage 10. Im just going to switch the 308 barrel out with 7mm SAUM, switch bolt head and magazine and go shooting. I shot a 300 yard group a few weeks ago right after I put it together and I shot less then 1/4 MOA with a load I found online but wasnt tuned for my gun so surely the action and other components are quality enough to build on if it can do that.

It sounds like you are willing to go custom/Wildcat, etc. If that is true, you might want to read the thread in this forum (7mm Sherman Shortmag vs 7 saum) I have a custom reamer and Bushing/Micrometer dies from Whidden in stock. I can reach 3050' with 180's in a 26" barrel with a shorter coal than a 7 SAUM. If interested, pm me and I can fill you in.....Rich

It sounds like you are willing to go custom/Wildcat, etc. If that is true, you might want to read the thread in this forum (7mm Sherman Shortmag vs 7 saum) I have a custom reamer and Bushing/Micrometer dies from Whidden in stock. I can reach 3050' with 180's in a 26" barrel with a shorter coal than a 7 SAUM. If interested, pm me and I can fill you in.....Rich

Wow really cool. Not very popular but considering im planning on ultra heavies for a 7mm and i run a short action, this might be the thing. Besides, im having to buy oversized brass anyways and neck it down, turn it, etc., so it doesn't take anymore. Although I will have to buy the shortened SAUM die unless you can use the custom die...ill pm you.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.