7mm RM with 180vld

silvertip: When ther 7 was introduced in the 60's it was designed around the lighter bullets for the super flat trajectory. Today is a whole nother world. The high b.c. bullets drop less at longer ranges 500+ and therefore are a much better bullet for long range. They carry engery farther and buck the wind much better.

I use the berger vld 180's with Rl22 63 grs and fed 215 primers which shoot .33 average groups in my 700P, they are great at bucking the wind! my groups on steel at 500 and 1,000 are nice and i can see the big pig targets go flying when hit at 1,000 yds. I like the bergers, but I wouldnt want to try them on elk. I would rather use a TSX for something so big. plus they are ment to blow up so if you hit the front quarter I would think the meat would be full of lead and copper splinters and bloodshot! I admit that all the game I have seen taken with the VLDs have dropped but its whats inside that also counts when your there for the meat as well.

silvertip: When ther 7 was introduced in the 60's it was designed around the lighter bullets for the super flat trajectory. Today is a whole nother world. The high b.c. bullets drop less at longer ranges 500+ and therefore are a much better bullet for long range. They carry energy farther and buck the wind much better.

Oh the 60's, darn I wish I didnt remember them. Good info, I'll study up on it. I love ballistics.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.