7mm Remington Magnum Questions

TORCHRIDER

Two questions:

1. Which is the best of the mainstream brass (Win, Rem, Fed, etc.) for consistency, life, etc? These are for hunting rounds so probably don't need Lapua quality unless everyone else sucks.

2. What is the best powder for velocity and accuracy with heavy 160-175gr. bullets. H1000, others?

Thanks!

That's a Ford, Chevy, Dodge like question. My personal preference is Remington followed by Winchester. Federal primer pockets don't hold up well. As to powder, I favor Retumbo over H-1000, better accuracy in my gun.

I use H4831sc. I get great accuracy but not the highest velocities.
I have had the same primer pocket issues with federal brass and I stick with Winchester brass.
Good luck with your work ups.

In Sep 2007 I got a new savage 111 in 7mm rm. With it I bought 5 boxes of federal ammo. I am still reloading this stuff 1117 shots to date. I use a collett sizer for 4 reloads then anneal and full length size for the 5th load.

Thanks guys. I just noticed that I have 8 lbs. of H1000. Has anyone had any luck with it? Also, for heavies is AA8700 too slow? I have tons of military pull down powder that is AA8700 equivalent that works well in my 300 RUM.

4350 and 4831 will most of the time give the best accuracy. Retumbo will give great accuracy but delivers more extreme spreads than other powders. N570 is the best powder for the 175 gr or 180 gr pills. Win Mag primers for Retumbo and slower powders with the 210 for the faster powders. Sorted Winchester brass has been right there with Norma quality in all 7mm mags I have run with.

Thanks guys. I just noticed that I have 8 lbs. of H1000. Has anyone had any luck with it? Also, for heavies is AA8700 too slow? I have tons of military pull down powder that is AA8700 equivalent that works well in my 300 RUM.

How do you JUST notice you have 8lbs of H1000? Lol. Since its such a horrible powder, I'll take it off your hands. It'sbeen great for me, and I'll buy up as much of it as I can come across. I've got 12 lbs and I'm looking to add to the collection. If you have some you need to at least give it a try. Pm me and I'll send you some maxs and mins. What bullet are you working with? What are you trying to accomplish with this rifle?

Two questions:

1. Which is the best of the mainstream brass (Win, Rem, Fed, etc.) for consistency, life, etc? These are for hunting rounds so probably don't need Lapua quality unless everyone else sucks.

2. What is the best powder for velocity and accuracy with heavy 160-175gr. bullets. H1000, others?

Thanks!

Not sure about mainstream brass but I was heavily recommended to stick with Lapua and Nosler brass by people on here unless you want to start getting into neck turning, flashhole prep, and primer pocker prep. The Lapua and nosler brass has better consistency in these regards and unless you are 1000 yard bench rest competition shooter may not need any further preparation for the first loading...factory brass will "definitely" need additional preparation.

As for powder, I was recommended to try IMR 7828ssc by another forum member here for my 7mm rem mag. I recently built a savage 7mm rem with criterion barrel. I don't know if I simply have a great set-up or if the imr7828ssc is great stuff but I have to say so far I am really impressed. Every charge weight I shot with 160 grain accubonds was well under 1 MOA and at max charge I am getting ~3000fps with less than .5MOA groups out to 300 yards so far. Have not tested it further but I am a believer and will use the imr7828ssc forever in this rifle at least (unless I get bored and want to try and bump up velocity but ~3000fps is plenty fast for my needs right now).

How do you JUST notice you have 8lbs of H1000? Lol. Since its such a horrible powder, I'll take it off your hands. It'sbeen great for me, and I'll buy up as much of it as I can come across. I've got 12 lbs and I'm looking to add to the collection. If you have some you need to at least give it a try. Pm me and I'll send you some maxs and mins. What bullet are you working with? What are you trying to accomplish with this rifle?

Yea, you would have to see my powder collection to know why? :D I will send you a PM. Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.