4895 for 7mm Remington Magnum

G

Has anyone used H or IMR 4895 for loading the 7mm Remington Magnum? I don't see any data posted anywhere for these powders in 7mm Mag. Is the burn rate just too fast for this cartridge???

I think I would look at IMR-4350 or slower for the 7mm mag. I had good luck with IMR-4831 and R-22 in the one I had. IMR-4895 is a little fast for the 7mm mag.

Dakor,
Thanks for the info. Have never loaded for 7mm Rem Mag before, but am in the process of building one, and getting components together. After doing some more research, I believe I'll stick with H4831.

I have found R22 to be the very best powder in the 7mm Rem Mag. I've heard several other shooters make that claim as well.

Good Luck!

Reloader

NH,
I would think either 4895 would be too fast for the 7 mag. I'm not saying you can't shoot it in one, but probably not the best choice out there. It also depends on what grain bullet you're pushing. I have used 64gr of Varget & 58gr of IMR 4320 in mine to launch 100gr Sierra HP's & 120gr Sierra spitzers, respectively. The accuracy was .2525" (3-shots) for the 100gr and .4015" (3-shot) for the 120's. Both used CCI BR2's. Didn't have a chronograph at the time, but I'm sure they were smoking.
That was back in 2000 when I shot those loads and alot of powder has been burnt down that tube. Since then I have mostly shot 67gr of RL22/w the 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip and BR2's. This is a very accuracte load in my Sendero and has accounted for lots of deer, crow, fox, feral cats and any other critter/vermon I can get a bead on.
Recently, I have been doing load development with the 150gr Scirocco. It is proving to be just as accurate as the Ballistic Tip for me. I hope your 7 gives you the shooting pleasure mine gives me. Good luck. Johnny K.

Go to www.hodgdon.com anytime you have questions about hodgdon powder. I think they will list some "youth" loads for the 7 mag using h4895. Would probably make a great low cost plinking load and close range deer load that would "mirror" the 7mm-08??

I appreciate the replies & am interested in reduced loads, as my wife will likely be shooting it more than I will. Once she saw the fluted barrel, she decided it was going to be hers.

[ QUOTE ]
I have found R22 to be the very best powder in the 7mm Rem Mag. I've heard several other shooters make that claim as well.

Good Luck!

Reloader

[/ QUOTE ]

nothing but RL22 im my 7mm. start yourself off right and go with that.

Don't over look 7828 I have shot some good groups with it out of my stock 700 7mag.My '02 Hodgdon manual says H4895 is good for 17 rem-458win but didn't list a load for 7 mag.

[ QUOTE ]
I appreciate the replies & am interested in reduced loads, as my wife will likely be shooting it more than I will. Once she saw the fluted barrel, she decided it was going to be hers.

[/ QUOTE ] Your wife is a keeper for sure when she told you that it was her rifle. You do want to have a care with reduced loads in any overbore capacity case. Or for that matter any case using progressive burning powder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Not only is she a keeper, she's a looker as well! I really enjoy watching the firing line shut down to gawk when we show up to shoot! Pretty hard to beat for a hunting buddy too!

[ QUOTE ]

Good Luck!

Reloader

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto, Ditto and Ditto!!!!

4895 seems a bit fast for the big 7. might be ok for small bullets like 115 to 120 gr. my best loads for the big stuff was H 870 79.5gr with a 160 Sierra was good for 3100fps and moa groups.H870 is not available from Hodgdons now, however there is an outfit in Arizona called Thunderbird Cartridge Co that sells this stuff as T870 and it seems to be the same burn rate. 870 powder is best used with FED215 PRIMER. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

after reading all the post's on this topic it has inspired me to think in a different direction RE:4227 for 338 Lapua Mag. hummmm Mabey not

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.