Powders for 7mm Remington Magnum

Considering you will more than likely have a reasonable shot at a moose (under 300), I'd juice that 175 as fast as possible with reasonable accuracy. Reloder 22 is one of my all time favorite powders for accuracy and speed. I recommend it also, or maybe even try the Re25.

My suggestion would be RL19, but ONLY for charges below 70gr. For anything above that, it would be wise to go up to RL22. It's also advisable to develop max loads using these powders under the warmest temperature conditions expected to be encountered.

I'm surprised LTLR didn't also say Ramshot Magnum or Retumbo, these 2 also do well under 175-180 grainers with great charge density. For the sake of being the most stable I use Retumbo with fed215s or cci 250s.

Backwoods, I agree those are good but they had been mentioned so I mentioned another that does very well in that size case from 257 to 30 caliber. It just seems to hit it's niche right in there. Slow burning, ball powder with consistent burn and low vel spreads with cartridges in that range.

I have used 70g H1000 with 168 vlds. That load gave an ES of 7 with a mv of 3000fps and awesome groups. But it seemed to dirty the barrel a lot. So when the local shop (Alberta tactica) got viht n560 in I tried it with a worked up load of 66 gr gave 3050 with a 5 shop group of 1.5" at 350 I kept it. Viht is more expensive but les powder over time and easier on brass (Norma at $2.50 a piece here) is good for me.

Work up to everything. Don't dive in to those loads.but the viht is definitely less pressure.

I was out shooting my 7 Rem Mag today. My loads were a common charge of 70.5 grains of H1000, 162 amax, and a fed 210m primer. Accuracy was around a half inch. Velocity was only around 2880 fps in my 26.5", Krieger 9.5 twist barrel. The second load I was shooting was 70.5 grains of Re-25 with 162 Hornady SST's and Fed 210M primers. The velocity averaged 2950 fps and the 5 shot groups were again around a half inch. I tried 5 rounds of 168 Bergers with 70.7 grains of H1000/210M primers, but the accuracy wasn't very good. I seated the vld .030 off the rifling. How much H1000 can a guy use. I read the previous post that said he used 72.5 grains. It would be nice to get around 3050 fps with a safe load but I'm happy with the Re-25 load right now.

The best groups out of my 7mag and three others that i load for are 69.5gr of H1000, Nosler brass, 168gr berger, and LARGE cci primers. As soon as I switched from the magnum to large primer the accuracy was night and day and Im still getting 2900fps out of the 26 inch barrel with a 9 twist, Which Im absolutly satisfied with.

Magpro does well also.
Unfortunately Magpro will hang-fire with federal primers. Try it, it works. A second or two before it goes. You've got to use win or cci primers for that powder. I even talked with sierra about it since I was using their bullets; I had called about 25wssm load data when it was new and brought that up also. Rich brought me up to speed on the chemical reaction issues with Magpro and a2700 with some primers. Needless to say I threw my Magpro out.

The load I use is way beyond hodgdons max but shows no pressure in my rifle, savage 110f 24" barrel, Fed match brass, Fed210M primer, 67.5grns H4831sc, 162 Amax .010" in the lands 3032fps avg, will go 3065fps with 68grns but opens up a tid bit. I have also broke 3160fps with the same combo except 72.5grns H1000 and Fed215Ms but the ES was not acceptable. These loads are way over on there site, if you try them Start 4-5grns LOWER.

I have a savage 111 in 7mm rm, it's throat is a lot longer than other rifles in that cal. so, when I load I over all lenght to 3.460" this allows me to have the bullet in contact with the rifleing when it is chambered. I never crimp my bullets and neck sise only.

My favorite plinking load is 140 grn sp 50.0 grns IMR 3031 with a standard primer 2910 fps. It is a very accurate load, comfortable to shoot (moderate recoil) BUT since 3031 really is not good for large volume cases it heets up the barrel so, a cool down between shots is adviseable.

For hunting, 150 grn ETIP 67.0 grns IMR 7828 with a mag primer 3000fps. Again a very accurate load (moderate to heavey recoil). Nothing I have shot with this bullet / load combo needed a second shot.

for serious targets 162 grn AMAX 63.5 grns IMR 7828 mag primer 2900 fps. A nail driver but, it is a pounder (heavey recoil)

I have a few hundred 175 grn sps but have yet to find a load that I am satisfied with for this weight, either the recoil is too much for me or the accuracey is compareable to a 12 gauge. I plan on getting some H1000 and trying that out. any sudjestions?

The velosities I have put here are from estamates I got by useing the published data and adjusting for the amount of actual powder I used. I wish that I had a chrono so that I knew the actual velosities (note to self time for dropping xmas wish hints).

Gordo you need to look at Retumbo for 175grn pills starting at 67-68grns with fed215 or cci250 primers.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.