7mm rem to 6.5prc re-barrel in factory rifle

Almondgrower

I have a really nice rem 700 classic that was like new and I bought it cheap. It been sitting in the safe for quite a while and I thought that would be a perfect barrel swap to go to a 6.5 PRC. This rifle has open sights on the barrel adding to my reason for a barrel swap . I'll bed the factory wood stock and add a premium trigger also. I really like this rifle as it is and it's very handy and nice looking too. I realize by the time I do the work it will be approaching custom parts but that's not what I'm going for . I like to compleat projects that will look like a factory gun offering but with lots of improvements ( under the hood ) I figured I would tru up the action and add a premium barrel . Since 30cal is my favorite, I'm going to save the compleat build for the 300 PRC next . My question is : the bolt face diameter is the same on both ,the sammi overall length is about a 1/4" longer on the 7mm. Any feed/mag issues to think about ? Just making sure I'm not missing/forgetting something before I move forward . Is a rem 700 wsm donor a better idea with mag box mods ? Thoughts /input ??
Thank you

Last edited:
I am in the process of building a 6.5 PRC on a Mod 70 push feed action.

The action was originally a 300 WM.

Before starting the project, I got some PRC brass, loaded some dummies. They cycled out of the mag box perfectly. Of course they would not chamber, but they came straight out of the mag with no hitches.

I don't think you will have any trouble. Get some dummies made, cycle them. I have some Hornady PRC brass I am not going to use, I can make you some dummies to try.

My barrel is being put on now. Hoping to have in complete mid Sept when the new stock comes in.

I am in the process of building a 6.5 PRC on a Mod 70 push feed action.

The action was originally a 300 WM.

Before starting the project, I got some PRC brass, loaded some dummies. They cycled out of the mag box perfectly. Of course they would not chamber, but they came straight out of the mag with no hitches.

I don't think you will have any trouble. Get some dummies made, cycle them. I have some Hornady PRC brass I am not going to use, I can make you some dummies to try.

My barrel is being put on now. Hoping to have in complete mid Sept when the new stock comes in.
I too, built mine on a M-70 264WM. My dummy rounds weren't feeding great but I bought 3 boxes of Precision Hunters and they load in and cycle fine. I'm thinks the weight of the powder and primer made a difference.

Is a rem 700 wsm donor a better idea with mag box mods ? Thoughts /input ??

Actually the Winchester WSM rifles are the best solution for your choice since they will accommodate the 3.00" cartridge length. The factory loads at 2.950". Some builders are using the true intermediate length actions like the Defiance XM with a 3.200" box length.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.