Re-barrel 7 Rem Mag to .338 for bear hunt?

Bears are really thin skin, thin boned animals.
You must be talking the Chicago variety -- or I missed your sarcasm. Plenty of stories of bullets ricocheting off their skulls.

I would jump on the 375 Rum and a 395 gr. Hammer bullet .
Then his action would most likely be a single shot unless he opened up the feed port.

You must be talking the Chicago variety -- or I missed your sarcasm. Plenty of stories of bullets ricocheting off their skulls.

Then his action would most likely be a single shot unless he opened up the feed port.
The skulls are thick, but I was referring to the other bones. They do have dense muscle tissue, but aren't like trying to shoot a Cape Buffalo was my point.

Not quite true. I'd buy a rifle specifically geared to such an adventure.
There is always that. Buy another rifle.

I don't think that was the Op intention.

I have a CZ550 in .375 H&H,

If I were going to hunt bear I would like to buy a new rifle for the purpose/conditions.

My .300wm with stainless/Laminate might do it but I think .338 might be a bit of insurance against big bear.

With newer technology and premium projectiles some of these produce good expansion and more damage for a given calibre.

The projectile is the cheapest part of the hunt. A box of 100 would cover load development and a few hunts I guess.

You could just rebarrel to .338WM. Other than bullet diameter, case dimensions are virtually the same so feeding would be fine. But if you booked a hunt, you won't be alone so your 7mm RemMag should be fine with a heavy Nosler Partition out of it. If things get "interesting" your guide will have a big gun to back you up.
I am gonna say this again for the hard of hearing. If a guide puts a bullet in my bear--or armadillo--he better have a tag in his pocket and I better be dying or dead. That is why I will never hunt with a guide. The stories I have heard.

Having 2 barrels for the same rifle is exactly what I do, even 3 barrels of different chambering.
If it were me, then I would buy another barrel in 338WM and be done with it.
When I went to Kodak, several lifetimes away now, my guide didn't trust the 338WM and tried over several months to sway me away from it, I perservered and took my Win Model 70 338WM loaded with 250g Partitions and 275g Speer Hot Cor semi spritzers. I also took a back-up rifle, my custom Win Model 70 in 375 Weatherby with 300g Woodleigh PP's, didn't fire a shot with it!
My guides hesitation toward the 338WM were dispelled, as the 275g bullet dropped my bear in it's tracks, a follow up was used, but wasn't necessary. Both my guide and his daughter became believers, as they had had 3 instances where the 338WM didn't do it's job, but I put that down to the left over factory ammo they showed me. It was very poor bullet construction to say the least. A bonded bullet made all the difference.

Cheers.

Having 2 barrels for the same rifle is exactly what I do, even 3 barrels of different chambering.
If it were me, then I would buy another barrel in 338WM and be done with it.
When I went to Kodak, several lifetimes away now, my guide didn't trust the 338WM and tried over several months to sway me away from it, I perservered and took my Win Model 70 338WM loaded with 250g Partitions and 275g Speer Hot Cor semi spritzers. I also took a back-up rifle, my custom Win Model 70 in 375 Weatherby with 300g Woodleigh PP's, didn't fire a shot with it!
My guides hesitation toward the 338WM were dispelled, as the 275g bullet dropped my bear in it's tracks, a follow up was used, but wasn't necessary. Both my guide and his daughter became believers, as they had had 3 instances where the 338WM didn't do it's job, but I put that down to the left over factory ammo they showed me. It was very poor bullet construction to say the least. A bonded bullet made all the difference.

Cheers.
Shot placement probably helped,
The PH is always gonna wonder if you are going to place a good shot when it counts.
A bit more oomph might compensate a little on a poor shot.

Maybe the OP can post whether he went on the hunt and if it was successfully, as the original question was from last December?
The trip was great and I got a nice bear. After much reading and a few conversations with my outfitter I went with a 375H&H, complete new custom build (see separate thread).
I shot the bear three times at 165 yards with a 300 grain A-frame, bear only made it 10 yards before collapsing.The first shot was close to full broadside and round went through heart and lungs, all three were complete pass through. IMHO this bear would have died using just about any magnum cartridge if hit in the same spot.
20211014_111250.jpg
20210902_171247.jpg